Sign in to follow this  
Guest achimgie

inHG instead of hPa

Guest mikealpha

>However, I think that by the time RC 5>hits the streets, countries like Russia will have "come into>line" and will be using ft/FL, knots and so on. Pete, I wouldn't hold my breath regarding that. Hundreds of Russian planes fly around with altimeters in meters and speed indicators in km/h as main equipment. Would be quite costly to change that. I haven't become aware about any important discussion about that subject yet.And honestly, why should they, if there's not even a conclusion between the US and Europe about stuff like inHG/Hectopascal yet ?At least I hope RC5 will be earlier :DMike

Guest mikealpha

John,yes, I'll provide that list definitely !Mike

>Just a>feeling, but the more the former Soviet Union countries and>China open up to international air transport, the more the>pressure that will be applied on them to conform with their>ATC systems. In all honesty I must say that the international ATC systems should start to conform with them. After all the international standard units are all metrical.I can see the historical significance and reasons why imperial units are used in aviation, but personally I think it's just a pain to work with them. I can live with with feet measurements but weights drive me crazy. LBS?! What a stupid way of measuring mass. :-p