Sign in to follow this  
Guest wisborg

Deviating for traffic

Hi,When flying in the US or in Western Europe, the TCAS system warns me on the average at least once a flight that I need to either descend or climb due to an immidiate threat from other planes. However if I do deviate to avoid a dangerous situation, ATC starts to yell at me for busting my altitude restrictions.Of course I can call a deviation for turbulence, however considering it's a critical situation, there's usual not time to contact ATC before it's too late to prevent the situation.Was it an idea in a later version to allow busting the assigned altitude in case ATC has issued a traffic warning?/ Jesper

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You must run a lot of traffic! LOLWhy not just edit the deviation in the menu to a wider range of space? Personally, I know where I am and what altitude I'm at, so that wouldn't really be a big deal just to change it.

>You must run a lot of traffic! LOLI'm running Ultimate Traffic at 100%>>Why not just edit the deviation in the menu to a wider range>of space? Personally, I know where I am and what altitude I'm>at, so that wouldn't really be a big deal just to change it.Of course I could that, but at other times, I would like the ATC to scream at me, if I do something wrong./ Jesper

Did ATC tell you first that there was traffic in the area? At what altitude were you flying (were you encountering VFR traffic)?Anyway, I just started running Ultimate Traffic at 100% and ran into the same thing. Generally, I have found that RC is pretty good about telling me there is traffic and vectoring me away. When I respond "unable", TCAS will often pop-up a minute or two later first warning me and then telling me to ascend or descend (I used the PMDG 737NG TCAS, btw...don't know if it makes a difference). If I have traffic insight, I won't worry about following TCAS' instructions. Following this procedure, I've never been so close that I've been worried about a mid-air. Bob

Hej JesperWhat you are reporting is also happening IRL although very seldom. The proliferation of more and more advanced TCAS systems gives pilots a "gods eye" of whats going on. Operating under IFR its of course the responsebility of the controller to deconflict all traffic ideally making TCAS an unnescessary piece of equipment. However the TCAS still has its function in providing a "last ditch defence" against mid air collosions in case the ATC has made some kind of error.So now we have two systems... the IFR system in which you as a pilot only "do as told" and a TCAS that can give the pilot an advisory that requires of him to diviate from what the controller has told him.The way this is handled (the supershort version) in variuos national SOPs is that pilot shall follow TCAS advisories even if the controllor tells him otherwise. So if a controller orders a descent for traffic avoidance and TCAS calls for a climp then you shall follow the TCAS resolution advisory (RA).The tragic midair collision of Lake Constance (Bodensee) on the Swiss/German border some years ago very clearly underlines this.So Jesper...IRL some pilots will recieve a TCAS RA that requires them to "bust" their assigned altitude. In order to survive you must do so....IMIDIATLY. Then afterwards - workload permitting - you inform the controller that you have deviated for an RA. In RC4 I guess you just go back to your assigned altitude and then accepts that you are slashed by them. Cant remember if there is a call that informs the the RC4 controller if there is a TCAS deviation.Med venlig hilsenMichael ChristiansenKarup, Denmark

Cant remember if there is a call that informs the the RC4 controller if there is a TCAS deviation.No, there isn't at the moment, Michael, but it's something that needs to be added to RC for realism. Unfortunately, to do it properly, new pilot wavs would also be needed - "TCAS climb" or "TCAS descent" and "returning to {assigned altitude/level}".Doug keeps tabs on these sort of things so, if you feel TCAS should be added, send him an e-mail at doug@jdtllc.com and ask him to consider adding it.Pete

>Cant remember if there is a call that informs the the>RC4 controller if there is a TCAS deviation.Great suggestion! I don't think RC4 has that feature but it should. Bob

Hmm, I have never tried to be vectored away from traffic. Do you need to activate something (looked for informations in the manual, but didn't find any).I am aware that this happens in real life - I recall recent reports that a pilot on a Scandinavian flight over Norway had to make such a move - but I'm quite sure they get a chance to defend themselves before being told twice that they busted the altitude ;-) So I'm glad to hear that it's already in the to-do list :-)Regarding including a TCAS into Radar Contact: of course it would make Radar Contact even more attractive, although for my part, I wouldn't really care, since those planes I fly that have one in real life, also have one included in the simulator. However, I might of course not be representative in this matter, and I do find a TCAS important flying the big jets./ Jesper