Sign in to follow this  
Guest tugpilot_01

Runtime error '5' when trying to rebuild DB...

Guest tugpilot_01

Greetings!I've installed RC v4.01 on my computer...here's my specs..Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz with HT (Hyper-thread)1GB RAM256 MB nVidia G-Force FX video cardWin XP Home SP2FS9.1Okay...here's the problem. I try to rebuild the Scenery Database using the "Rebuild Scenery DB" button. I wanted to do this, because I'm usure whether I have installed any new scenery recently. When I try to rebuild, I get the error message "Run-time error '5': RadarContact.rcv4module.RunShell"...what does this mean, and how can I overcome this problem? Also...when I'm modifying the AFCAD's (to..for instance permanently change tower freq etc), do I need to rebuild the scenery DB? I've read the manual on page 118...and I don't use WideFS..Thanx alot guys;)

Do you get the error when you press the rebuild button, or after when you try to run the program? If it is the latter, you need to wait for the rebbuild to finish - it looks done, but it's not, it runs several processes one after the other.

Hi Kyrre,I'll have to leave the error message for jd to consider I'm afraid. As 'Lightplane' said could you let us know exactly when the message appears. Is it immediately on pressing the 'Rebuild Scenery DB' button or does a program called 'Makerwys' run looking through your scenery files?Have you ever successfully run 'Rebuild Scenery DB'?The following is a possible work around which you could try while we try and figure out what is going wrong. It's a bit complicated I'm afraid.1. In the main FS folder find the program called makerwys.exe. Double click on it to run it.2. Once it has run rename the file as zmakerwys.exe.3. A file called r4.csv should have been created in your main FS folder. Move this file into the root of your C drive (so it is now C:r4.csv)3. Run RC and click 'rebuild scenery db'4. You should now be asked if it is a widefs installation. I know it isn't but say 'Yes'.5. Keep clicking OK. When asked for the path to r4.csv just type in C: then continue to keep clicking okay until RC tells you it has finished rebuilding a4.csv6. Now rename zmakerwys.exe back to makerwys.exeAs for your second question: RC only extracts runway data from the afcad files so if you haven't changed the runway data you don't need to rebuild the database.All the best,John

Guest RickT

With Flight Simulator running: 1. Launch RCv42. Click debug3. Load your flight plan4. Click Start5. Finish the flight Debug will create a log file in your main Radar Contact directory called rcv4.log. Please zip that file and send it to jd@jdtllc.com Please include a description of your problem in your not to JD.

Guest tugpilot_01

>Hi Kyrre,>>I'll have to leave the error message for jd to consider I'm>afraid. As 'Lightplane' said could you let us know exactly>when the message appears. Is it immediately on pressing the>'Rebuild Scenery DB' button or does a program called>'Makerwys' run looking through your scenery files?>>Have you ever successfully run 'Rebuild Scenery DB'?>>The following is a possible work around which you could try>while we try and figure out what is going wrong. It's a bit>complicated I'm afraid.>>1. In the main FS folder find the program called makerwys.exe.>Double click on it to run it.>2. Once it has run rename the file as zmakerwys.exe.>3. A file called r4.csv should have been created in your main>FS folder. Move this file into the root of your C drive (so it>is now C:r4.csv)>3. Run RC and click 'rebuild scenery db'>4. You should now be asked if it is a widefs installation. I>know it isn't but say 'Yes'.>5. Keep clicking OK. When asked for the path to r4.csv just>type in C: then continue to keep clicking okay until RC tells>you it has finished rebuilding a4.csv>6. Now rename zmakerwys.exe back to makerwys.exe>>As for your second question: RC only extracts runway data from>the afcad files so if you haven't changed the runway data you>don't need to rebuild the database.>>All the best,>>John>>>Hello,I tried your method just as you described it, and it worked out fine;)I also found it quite easy to do as well...so, my problem is solved for now! Thanks a lot:)

Hi Kyrre,Glad it worked :-)It would still be worth trying to produce a log of the problem as Rick suggested so that we can try and find a permanent solution to this.All the best,John