Sign in to follow this  
Guest HUMPERS

Hard drive crashed while flying tutorial 3

Guest HUMPERS

Some of you will know that i had problems while flying tut. 3. Well, the flight stopped with a loud buzzing sound & immediately executed a scan disk which threw up some file entries(can't remember details except the number 130) but the scan said it was deleting the following index entries; Ctrlr.wav 149827 & pilot.wav 149827 which i take to be Radar Contact files. To cut a long story short, i am having my 2 hard drives formatted although because of a program called Partition Magic (aka Boot magic) this is proving both hard & costly but very necessary.i can confirm i was using fsuip 3.553 but shall use 3.558 when i eventually get up & running again.At present i am accessing the net etc via my wife's lap top. Obviously i am in no way blaming RCv4 for this problem with formatting but it was certainly this program which caused the initial crash & disk scan hence the wave files mentioned above.I need to know that if i use RCv4 again with FSUIP 3.558 will i be ok? i shall be putting all my apps etc on the main drive ©& will only put FS9 & RCv4 on the D drive. I will eventually run tutorial 3 in debug mode in case it saves anyone else running into this problem.Any help/advice appreciated & sincere thanks to those already helping via flightsim.com forum.i am determined to get back Radar Contact as i really like it.Will get back my computer hopefully on friday.CheersRod

Hi Rod,There's no real reason to assume that RC caused the actual crash, it's just those files may have been in use at the time of the crash. I had a couple of similar experiences a while back where similar messages came up about loads of texture files. The crashes were caused by an unstable system, not the texture files! In my case the hard disk itself was failing and had to be replaced.So you should be safe to run RC after your reformat. Just be warned that what you describe could be due to a failing hard disk which a reformat won't fix.All the best,John

Guest HUMPERS

Thanks,i did wonder about that. I have now been told that my Chaintek FX5700 has burnt out (would you believe i've only had it about a year, bet the guarantee has expired) & that it may have damaged the connection to the Mother Board. It never rains but it pours!On the plus side at least RCv4 is exonerated.Finding out the cost today? Watch this space & thanks again everyone.CheersRod