Sign in to follow this  
nralbers

error starting RC4.3 as admin on vista home premium

Hello,I'm having a problem starting Radar Contact on Vista. When I run without administrator privileges, the program gives error 75 on updating the scenery DB. When I run with administrator privileges, I immediatly get a messagebox with title "Radar Contact" and the error message "Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I have tried reregistering comdlg32.ocx using the procedure in the FAQ using a command prompt with admin privileges, but this still happens.Please help!Niels Albers

without admin priviledges the program can't write to where it needs to write to, thus the error 75is this 64 bit vista? if so, the comdlg32.ocx needs to go into the syswow64 directory of windows, and the regsvr32 command needs to be executed against that file in that pathjd

I'm not running a 64 bit vista, but with a little investigation in the registry I found the problem. comdlg32.ocx was registered in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. This is why rc4 would start as a normal user (but didn't work properly because it lacked administrator privileges). Running regsvr32 again as administrator didn't work because it didn't clean up the bad registry entry in HKCU. The fix is as follows:1. Open a command prompt normally.2. in C:WindowsSystem32 run regsvr32 -u comdlg32.ocx (removes the bad registry entry)3. Open a command prompt with administrator privileges (by right clicking the shorcut and chosing run as administrator.4. in C:windowsSystem32 run regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx.Start rc4 as administrator.Bingo, it works