Sign in to follow this  

737NGX 'short' checklist (from C&Dd to C&D) version 3

Because I can't edit the OP of my other topic anymore, I'd thought it would be a good idea to post a new topic for the new (3rd) version of my pdf. I see people are still downloading the very first version (some 450 people have downloaded that one by now), which is nice but a shame too because by now two other version have been posted already and the 3rd one is quite different as far as the layout is concerned: more straightforward and easier to understand. I hope. :wink:You can read more about the pdf here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/360939-737ngx-short-checklist-from-cdd-to-cd-please-checkIn that topic you will also find some information about a version that can be downloaded and used in the FSX kneeboard, although right now that file is based on version 2 of the short checklist. As I said, this 3rd version is completely revised as far as the layout is concerned: the content hardly changed, apart from some details.

Guest Flyingnut

The flap setting to five should not be done in the the cockpit configuration section. Setting the flaps should be done in the before taxi procedure after verifying that all ground personel are clear.

Edited by Flyingnut

Jeroen one thing though, I would change "PRESS AND HOLD F2 (THRUST REVERSERS)" to something like "ENGAGE THRUST REVERSERS". Not a lot of people using a keyboard. I use Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & it comes with a throttle quadrant.
Hm, of course. Good one. As far as I can see it is the only reference to a specific keyboard control that I left in the list. If I change that step to ENGAGE THRUST REVERSERS, what should the next one be, you think? DISENGAGE THRUST REVERSERS AND APPLY BRAKES? Or STOW THRUST REVERSERS AND APPLY BRAKES?
By the way,There's a tiny app called PDFKneeboard that I use on my 747 to read PDF's directly on the screen.Similar to your other post except you don't need to convert the PDF's to another format.
Cool! I will check it out and I might make a special pdf for it if I like it (with less white around the page and maybe a page for every phase of the flight.)
The flap setting to five should not be done in the the cockpit configuration section. Setting the flaps should be done in the before taxi procedure after verifying that all ground personel are clear.
Ah, is that so! It wouldn't surprise me of there are more mistakes like rhis because I initially based my pdf on the official tutorial and that one starts with the engines running and on the runway, so there is no engine start and pushback and taxi in that tutorial and hence the order of procedures isn't as it should be... I think I will add the flaps setting as the first one in the TAXI section (?). Adding a 'before taxi' section is a bit too much, I think.Anymore of these 'order errors'? I'd like to collect as many errors at once before I make version 4 otherwise I will have to upload a new version every few hours... :wink:If a mod is reading this: is it possible to let me edit the OP for a longer period then usual? I see I can't edit it already by now so any new version will show up in the middle of the topic and I don't want to start a new topic for every version... Edited by Guest

Guest Flyingnut
I think I will add the flaps setting as the first one in the TAXI section (?). Adding a 'before taxi' section is a bit too much, I think.
Engine start, after engine start and before taxi procedures kind of run together since all this occurs during pushback and prior to starting the actual taxi. Check out page 110 of the PMDG FCOM pdf, Before Taxi Procedure section. Edited by Flyingnut

DISENGAGE THRUST REVERSERS I think.Hurry hurry hurry! LOL
Ok, will do. :(
Engine start, after engine start and before taxi procedures kind of run together since all this occurs during pushback and prior to starting the actual taxi. Check out page 110 of the PMDG FCOM pdf, Before Taxi Procedure section.
Ok, then I'll add it at the end of my huge START ENGINE section... :wink:BTW In the meantime I figured out a very easy way to convert my InDesign doc to an straightforward htm file that can be used in the FSX kneeboard (the default one). It looks good in the FSX kneeboard but the cells have a bit too much space in them and it's a bit too big. But apart from that it looks exactly like the pdf, so if I figure out a way to make it look better, I will post that htm also. It doesn't require extra xml files or check files.That pdf viewer windwalker posted about does work, but it looks a bit odd and it isn't too easy to move and navigate in it since it has no real interface. I rather use the FSX kneeboard and since I can convert my InDesign docs to htm, I will go that way. :(

What about the Isolation valve? I believe it has to be AUTO or OPEN for engine start
The isolation valve is OPEN by default when you load the cold and dark state. :( The list only contains mandatory steps so it only tells you to set it to AUTO after the engine start and back to OPEN again during shutdown. (I made sure (I think) that the entire VC is in the same state at the end of the list as it was when you loaded the cold and dark state.)Probably (hm, well, certainly...) some steps are missing and some aren't really mandatory but this list is made to show you the least possible amount of steps required to enjoy a quite realistic flight and is specially made to get you going when you haven't flown the 737NGX for a while and you don't want to wade through all tutorials and manuals again before you can start a flight. I've been flying other complicated aircraft in the past and even when I knew them by heart at a certain moment, I noticed that getting back into it all after not flying a specific plane for a few months was pretty hard... That's why I started making lists like these.EDITI see people still download the first version of the pdf in that other topic... Bummer, wish I could edit that post. And btw I wonder if the 128 people who downloaded this 3rd version up to now think it is better or not? Do you like this new setup of the list or did you prefer the previous one...? Do you miss the LSK references? They took up a lot of space and since the list shows you which screen you have to go to and since those screens don't have THAT much info on them, I ditched the LSK's. I never looked at those numbers anyway, I noticed... :( Edited by Guest

I definitely like the "boxed" version best.Now, with the number of versions, could you pls. write the version number in the title?And back to the question of bleed valves: "PACKS" are open, engines won't start.I belive that the instruction should be: Close "PACKS" - Open "APU" - Close "RIGHT ENGINE" - Open "LEFT ENGINE" - Start left engine - Close "LEFT ENGINE" - Open "RIGHT ENGINE" - Start right engine - Set "PACKS" to Auto - Open "LEFT ENGINE" - Close "APU" (Shut down APU)If you like to include this or not is your call.Anyhow: GREAT JOB!RegardsCarl MichaelEDIT: One page per step would definitely be a nice touch.EDIT2: How exactly do you convert your ".doc" to ".htm"??

Edited by CMIBM

Ok, so... when you follow the steps in the list exactly, starting with the cold and dark state, the engines won't start...? That's odd because they start on my pc and I haven't heard this yet from anyone else who downloaded the list. Hm... What exactly do you mean with 'close right engine'? I suppose that with 'open left engine' you mean setting the engine start selector to GRD...? I am a bit confused with your sequence. :( Still, it's weird the engines won't start with the sequence in the list...EDITI just compared my list to the Normal procedures (Operating Manual Vol.1). Should have done that before. :wink:1. First of all: it seems 'my' engine start procedure is right... The Packs should be open as they are and set to auto as in the list. So that part is right according to the manual... so I don't know what problem CMIBM is having...2. I did notice the order of specially the cockpit config and engine start are a bit mixed up in my list. I will re-order everything (almost) completely according to the manual in the next version. The rest was quite okay.3. I also noticed the approach phase is a bit different (not using VOR/LOC at all but changing to HDG SEL to intercept and using APP right away). I redid that part in the list but I will have to test that first before I post it all again (just as I want to test the new order before posting anything here!). Some things don't work on my pc as the manual says (I can't enable the second AP before the G/S is intercepted) so I have to figure out first why.BTW The list as it is still works well. Nothing wrong or bad about it as far as I can tell but it would be nice to have the order of things more parallel to the official manual of course!END OF EDITAbout one page per step: I was talking about one page per phase, otherwise the pdf would become a few hundred pages, :( but that was only meant for the fsx pdf reader and I can't say I like it, so I don't think I will create a pdf just for that, sorry...If no one else reacts to the list I will finish this 3rd version this week (I also like this boxed version more: it's less cluttered and complicated) and maybe I will add a htm for use in the kneeboard later on.EDITConverting the doc to hrml: I make my list in InDesign. I then make a pdf of it. That pdf is converted online to a doc using http://www.convertfiles.com/ and then that doc is converted to html using the same site! Small problem is that I am not too happy with the looks of the html version: the text is ok, but there is too much room in the boxes...

Edited by Guest

Jeroen,You have done a great job and I won't argue further about the bleed valves :wink:One page per phase was what I meant - sorry.RegardsCarl Michael

Edited by CMIBM

Jeroen,You have done a great job and I won't argue further about the bleed valves :wink:One page per phase was what I meant - sorry.RegardsCarl Michael
LOL Okay! :wink:I've attached version 4 to this post. The list is almost completely according to the order in the official manual now (normal procedures): the order has changed a lot in specific areas (specially page 2) and the approach phase is very different (no more use of VOR/LOC amongst others and also a different order, which worked great btw over here! Finally I was able to turn on CMD B without problems), so I decided to call it version 4 right away. :wink:As you all (?) might have noticed this is a work in progress...!!! So feel free to download it and see if it all works, but take note that things may change at any time in the future (again). And please let me know if things don't work out! Edited by Guest

LOL Okay! :wink:I've attached version 4 to this post. The list is almost completely according to the order in the official manual now (normal procedures): the order has changed a lot in specific areas (specially page 2) and the approach phase is very different (no more use of VOR/LOC amongst others and also a different order, which worked great btw over here! Finally I was able to turn on CMD B without problems), so I decided to call it version 4 right away. :wink:As you all (?) might have noticed this is a work in progress...!!! So feel free to download it and see if it all works, but take note that things may change at any time in the future (again). And please let me know if things don't work out!
im%20Not%20Worthy.gifim%20Not%20Worthy.gifI think 4 can be your final version, alright. It's perfect now. :(

im%20Not%20Worthy.gifim%20Not%20Worthy.gifI think 4 can be your final version, alright. It's perfect now. :(
Thank you, thank you! :wink:As I said quite a lot has changed but by now I think my list is 99% 'compatible' with the normal procedures from the official manual, which is nice. The first list was based entirely on the official tutorial which has no engine start procedure and which starts on the runway and hence it has a lot of things in the wrong order because of that. I simply added the engine start to the tutorial list, which wasn't very wise... :( I should have compared my list with the normal procedures earlier, of course... But well, I also think it's pretty close to finished now! Reading the normal procedures also helped to get the approach working better, because the way it is done in the tutorial doesn't work that well. I am happy with it. :(