Sign in to follow this  
snapitbik

Installing ORBX Product

Of course you're right Pete and I'm not really worried since all products installed just fine in the end.

I was just curious what was causing this slow un-wrapping since I never seen it before using the same PC. And if the un-wrapping speed would have been even I guess it would have made more sense to me that the speed for whatever reason was low. However what I noticed and with all products I installed even ESSA which isn't a big file at all is how the progress bar moved normally but would then just "pause" for about 15 minutes at approx 80%. And again the exact same behavior for all products at the exact same spot...about 80%.

Of well, not a big deal and looking forward to be able to start flying again after this unintentional wipe of my PC I just went through. Feels good to be back in business again :smile:

Richard Åsberg

After having some issues I'm back re-installing my Orbx products and same frustration over the ridiculously slow un-wrapping process.

However this time around I figured I might as well spend my time while waiting trying to figure out what it is making it take so long and it seems like I've found it.

I checked the disk write speed for the un-wrapping process and it's writing data to the disk in about 1.7 MB/s where I have a disk capable of about 1.7 GB/s so no wonder it takes long...

I also did a quick test copying some randon data to my disk while the un-wrapping process was still running and watched the utilized disk speed increase to its normal values while that process was running and as soon as it finished I was back to the blistering 1.7 MB/s again.

So let me put it like this...I think the FlightSimStore un-wrapping process could be improved.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I absolutely agree! This is the second time i install a 7gig Orbx package, using the same unwrapper from flightsimstore.com. It holds for a ridiculous amount of time at 80%.

For you guys that are being told that the file is corrupt and consider download it again - DONT!

It works but it just take a few hours.. I think it has something to do with the significant high amount of files inside the wrapper that makes it take so long.

I also would appreciate the FlightSimStore un-wrapping process could be improved.

/JB

(All my P3D V3 files and addons are located on a 6 Gb/sek SSD disk)