Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

FMC and winds

I was wondering if FMC takes in to account the winds (if they got programmed by the user) when suggesting a flight level or when telling if it is a good or bad idea to do a step (penalty). If yes, then i have one more reason, I assume, to program the forecast winds in every leg as opposed to using an average for the whole flight. Sometimes i am lazy and just put the average.  

brainstorming....FMC does not know what winds are blowing at all altitudes correct? (even if you have ASN). FMC knows only the winds you program in your route at that specific altitude so FMC is unable to recommend flight levels based on winds....I think i am answering my own question but i am not sure....

I think i am answering my own question but i am not sure....

You have answered your question. The only thing the FMC knows is what you have entered. There is no communication between AS16 or ASN in the NGX FMC.