Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Ground Rumble in B777 too quiet

I am learning to fly the 777-200. I've noticed that the ground rumble sounds are nearly non-existent. I noted almost no indication that my gear left the ground at takeoff, and when I decended into the runway at final approach, I thought I was hovering over the ground at idle throttle for some time b/f I switched to exterior view and confirmed I had safely settled into the the ground effect.Is this a bug? I'm using version 1.2 of the Fly!2 777-200 IGW.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Believe it or not, definitely not a bug.Several people have posted about this in the past. We've been told that in real life, this is probably what you would hear because the cockpit is very far away from the noisy engines, & the main gear is equally as far away from the cockpit. Actually this may indeed be true when you consider the size of a 777.Sincerely,Chris Catalano

Has anyone considered extracting and increasing the noise of this particular sound? Without ground rumble, it is difficult to know when you've touched down and when your gear has left the runway at takeoff. Other sounds are not as critical to hear (like the far-away flaps).-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Gents,While the "ground rumble" may be correct on an auditory level, it does raise the fact that without physical cues, a non-motion simulator must rely heavily on sound to indicate things that motion would otherwise.It's an area (auditory cues) that I believe some leeway could be accepted to facilitate more sim enjoyment, rather than pure realism.Interesting topic,Rogerhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cebec341d1a5336.gif

When I fly the 767PIC I definitely can tell I am on the ground. The sound changes when you get airborne. It is all very subtle but I can hear it. I believe that though the cabin is well insulated there is still some vibration that is passed through the skin/structure of the aircraft. This is the stuff you can hear. The right sounds are definitely important for this extra edge in simulation.Michael J.

I know this is not the first time someone has suggested sound changes that while not accurate, would help in a SIM environment where the "feel" aspect of the environment is missing. Would PMDG consider releasing an option pack - perhaps some specific sounds that would render the 777 and 757 slightly less than 100% accurate, but that would enable users to hear things they would normally feel. For example, ground rumble sounds, slightly louder flap engage/disengage sounds, spoiler noise, etc.A thought - could easily be done by extracting the appropriate files from the POD, boosting the volume a bit, and then providing them separately to be put in the ...Fly2SOUND directory.Thoughts, PMDG?-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I noticed that the above sounds are plenty audible. Is it the case in a real cockpit that the pilots would be able to hear the drag produced by the spoilers and the reverse thrusters, but they would not hear any ground rumble upon takeoff or landing?-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

After a few weeks of flying the 777, I'm still a bit frustrated with landing since I never know when I've really hit the ground. The lack of the audible cues on ground role make this difficult.I know the process for increasing the volume of the ground rumble would be to pull out the specific WAV files from the PMDG pod, and adjust the default volumes. Maybe its a bit more complicated than that.Would PMDG be willing to offer a "B777 Sound Enhancement Pack" that would slightly increase the volume of the ground rumble. I realize from above posts this might not be totally realistic, but I think it would add to the fly-ability of the plane considering that simmers do not have any of the other real-life cues that would make it obvious when the gear was firmly on the ground vs. in the air.Thanks for the consideration.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

DK,For starters, you'll find you get a better response from PMDG if you sign your post with your name, and not just your initials...I've got close to 200 hours in the PMDG 757 (between the Fly!2K and Fly!II versions) and I honestly don't have a hard time figuring out when I'm on the ground. There are visual cues, some having to do with motion and some with instruments, but you definitely know when you've planted the bird on the ground.

I don't own the FlyII 757, but on the Fly!2K 757 (and 767) there was sufficient ground rumble to be sure when one was on the ground. I just find with the Fly!II 777, there is none.- David Kohl (aka -DK)----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hi everybody,I agreed with you about the need for the ground sound, and as with the first version of Fly! software I learn how to customize my planeswith my very own taste. I have all PMDG products since the beganin ofthe company.The tools to make that happend are rigth there in TRI'ssoftware and that is......ofcourse the podview file. With that you can extract the pod file and then you can use only the ones that arerelated to sounds in this case. The point is to specify the wav filethat have the ground sound and then change the name blank.wav I thinkfor one that says grnd.wav for example, just make shure is in the sounds folder. From here you have 2 options repod the file with the very latest podcreator that you can download from avsim or just put the xxxxx.sfx file inside the World folder I believe almost everybody has created folder call world, so just remember that the "search pod files first" in the fly.ini is set to "0"I also use SoundForge 4.0 to customize the sounds to ma personal tasteThat is it.Rene Perez

How many of you have actually been in the cockpit of a triple seven on takeoff and ground roll in the cockpit?Gabriel FitzgeraldMy computer is big and coolBig video card with lots of RAMThe latest drivers for everythingBig hard drive(s)Nice motherboard with loads of optionsI'd be a cool beta tester...oh, I am!;-)