Sign in to follow this  
ckukmale

@ LHR...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi there.Sometimes it gets used but really very rarely, I think the last time it got used was a few months ago when we had some really windy weather and it was gusting quite bad so they opened that runway then. Im sure some people who live near Heathrow and come on here to read and to post will tell you how often. Im just going by what I read on the news at the time as we had some bad weather here for a few days and they said that Heathrow had to use a runway it rarely uses for flights to land on.Craig Kiltie

Only when absolutely necessary. A friend of mine told me that in extreme crosswind conditions that affect the 09/27 combination 05/23 will be opened. It is rare and does not have an ILS approach.

Runway 23 is only used when cross winds get above 20 knots and is gusting. Runway 05 never gets used. It seems to be rarer these days as a few years ago especially around October November time 23 was put into action. Because of the length of 23 it tended to be small to medium aircraft using the runway. I used to have an office under the flightpath of 23 and it was a fantastic site watching the planes going over. Hope this helpsMiles

There you go EK..I knew there were people who knew all the answers.Who needs Ask Jeeves eh.....Just ask Avsim..heheheCraig Kiltie