Sign in to follow this  
Guest lbb

Should RMI needles point to ILS?

Guest lbb

In a previous post I mentioned that when you have NAV1 tuned to a VOR, the localizer deviation bar appears in the PFD, which I'm not sure is right. Now, I found more or less the opposite. When both radios are tuned to the ILS frequency for the approach, the RMI needles will point to the ILS. The same with the pointers on the ND, if you set the EFIS controls to VOR1 and VOR2. Since the LOC works completely differently from a VOR I doubt if that is correct. Could anyone enlighten me?Thanks,Leo Bakker

I dont get this, my rmi needle wont show when tuned to the ils. If tuned to a vor it will show.

But that is how it works and it is a pitys ince in my wilco a320 i cand do this method with success not needing to rely in atc or a stuoid check airmen that cant give a heading to save his life. Would be very handy for my sim checks

I dont get this, my rmi needle wont show when tuned to the ils. If tuned to a vor it will show.

But that is how it works and it is a pitys ince in my wilco a320 i cand do this method with success not needing to rely in atc or a stuoid check airmen that cant give a heading to save his life. Would be very handy for my sim checks

Welcome to the forum.

Couple things:

1. Full names - first and last - are required in your posts.
  2. Please do not drag up topics that are over a decade.

As far as your issue goes, it's not an issue. The RMI will not point to LOC arrays, it's not supposed to. If someone modeled it that way, then they did so incorrectly.

Kyle Rodgers

An RMI shows you your instantaneous QDM and QDR of the tuned VOR. A localizer does not emit radials that an on board equipment can read comparing phases. Localizers work on a whole different principle (depth modulation), so there's nothing for an RMI to point at.

Omar Josef
737/757/767