Sign in to follow this  
Guest mpauli

New and some questions...

Hi everyoneI am totaly new to this forum. I just bought that beautiful NG 737 this afternoon and made some flights already. But now I've got some questions and I hope there is somebody able to answer them to me. I hope there aren't to stupid:1. When you are in cruise and you get your clearence for descent after you have past the T/D point what is the right procedure?When I only change the altitude on the MCP nothing happens of course but when I press the VNAV button again the bird set full power (N1) and starts climbing (instead of descending)! What should I do?2. Isn't it possible to let the FMC calculating the V1 Vr and V2? I just rememer the good old times of PIC767 ;-)3. Is there any possibility or are there plans for the 6th screen in the cockpit? I really miss an information display such as the one on the 777 where you can get information about all systems on board by using the MFD.I've also looked up some pictures on airliners.net where you can see that this lower screen is really able to be used that way (see attachment).Allready thank you for your good tips...RegardsMartin---------------------Martin Paulimartin@paulifamily.ch

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi and welcome,No questions are too stupid, so here goes:1. I would suggest you using V/S and SPD when descending without having had VNAV engaged. The behaviour you encounter when engaging VNAV seems to be your FMC not set up right. But it's hard to tell without more informatiun. Use the level change green arc on the ND and fine tune your rate of descnet.2. Yes if you line select V1, Vr and V2 once on the FMC. It will calculate the speeds for you based on the information entered.3. The upper/lower EICAS screens are supposed to be availible in the -800/900/BBJ release.Hope it helps,

Thanks for the quick answerIt seems that I have set the FMC the right way. I just made another flight and when setting a lower altitude on the MCP before passing the T/D everything works fine but if I have to stay level some more minutes (for example due to sleeping ATC ;) ) how can I bring the bird into the descend mode when still operating in VNAV?BTW: Same situation in PIC 767: The Autopilot deactivated VNAV and went to ALT HLD when flying over the T/D without changing the MCP Altitude. Then you had to change the MCP altitude and to engage the VNAV mode againto start descend...So how to do it on the NG 737?Thanks againMartin---------------------Martin Paulimartin@paulifamily.ch

MartinIf you've passed TOD you could reset the MCP ALT and engage VNAV SPD DES. If you are way pass the TOD the VNAV PATH DES could get you into a too steep dive, forcing the FMC to DISCONNECT. Or go with V/S and SPD and trim your rate of descent according to the DES page on the FMC. The old but proven way ;-) It usually comes in handy when ATC intervenes your flight plan... :-)Regards,

"how can I bring the bird into the descend mode when still operating in VNAV?" You use the DES NOW function. "The Autopilot deactivated VNAV and went to ALT HLD when flying over the T/D without changing the MCP Altitude." Well that's correct, you MUST reset the MCP to your FAF or a lower cleared altitude for the FMC to follow the descent path. The FMC remind you of this 5 miles to TOD. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]