Sign in to follow this  
Guest neil_c

Inconsistent GPWS Height Callouts

Guest neil_c

Chaps,I've noticed my height callouts don't work sometimes after the first approach.To demonstrate, I departed from EGGW, climbed to 4000ft and came around for an A/P ILS back into EGGW. For the first approach, the height callouts were working well, starting at 1000ft RA. Upon the 100ft call I commenced a go-around (oh how I wish the A/P would disconnect on single A/P approaches when hitting TOGA, but that's another issue!).I cleaned up, continued climbing to 3000ft and came back for another approach, this time to land. However, I heard no height callouts until 40ft RA. The 740ft baro minimums call was also missing.It seems like some kind of initialisation problem preventing the height callouts sounding again after one approach without an aircraft reload.Any ideas?

"oh how I wish the A/P would disconnect on single A/P approaches when hitting TOGA, but that's another issue!)." Well they ARE different. In a single AP approach you do not have autopilot Go-Around capabilities, plus pushing TOGA in DUAL will only take you out of APP mode, not disconnect the AP. Even for landing in single you must MANUALLY disconnect the AP upon TD. If you have not read my Autoland post, have a look here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=12455&page= [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

Guest Ian_Riddell

"It seems like some kind of initialisation problem preventing the height callouts sounding again after one approach without an aircraft reload."Hi, Neil.If your first callout was 1000' on your first run, then you need to climb above that radio height to reset the callouts. Unless EGWW is above 2000 feet(?!), I agree, you should have heard your callouts :-)Was your baro set correctly? :-lolCheers.Ian.P.S. It may be related to the missing 2500' callout problem mentioned on the forum. If your 2500' callout was registered by PMDG logic, but wasn't announced, then maybe your airport would only have to be above 500' AMSL for the reset logic not to be satisfied. In this case, it wouldn't take as much baro error to create your problem.

Guest Ian_Riddell

A diagram might be in order to help explain one of my theories, Neil.... where the airport is only slightly higher than 500' (baro)....It has been mentioned that people haven't been getting 2500' callouts... Unfortunately, I can't test this for myself as I have all but incinerated my computer ... and I don't know what logic is programmed into the PMDG GPWS Mode 6 callouts.http://members.ozemail.com.au/~b744er/737/...tCalloutBug.gifOK.... Airplane takes off from airport at point A, say, 600' above sea level, barometrically speaking.The aircraft climbs to 4000' and then makes an approach.The aircraft descends through 2500' Radio Altitude, and triggers the GPWS logic, but does not sound the aural.Aircraft descends through 1000' and then triggers the aural alert for 1000'.At point B, the aircraft initiates a Go-Around and then climbs back up to a height of 3000' (or 2400' Radio Altitude). As the aircraft has not ascended past the reset height of 2500' (RA), the aurals don't sound during the second approach. Reset height in a real Boeing is the first RA callout by the way (which should have been 2500'). This may or may not be implemented in PMDG (?)Make sense?Cheers.Ian.

Guest neil_c

Ian,Thanks for the info regarding the reset logic but it's not working for me. I just tested it again, this time climbing to 4000ft amsl on the go-around where the airport elevation was 540ft. So I was well above the radio altimeter operating range yet I still received no callouts on the second approach UNTIL I reached a callout altitude lower than I had descended in the first approach. I did the go-around at the 200ft callout, and on the next approach the first callout I heard was 100ft.All very odd :-hmmmRandy,Any suggestions about the above?I'm aware of the APFDS functionality during approaches, but my point was that on a single channel approach the A/P should disconnect upon pressing TOGA below 2000ft RA, complete with audible disconnect warning. But it doesn't.Overall it's a nice product, but there are quite a few little errors in some areas that contrast against the strong realism in others. By raising them I only hope they may be fixed in the future; I do not wish to be one those moaners on here!I think because the product is so damn good in most areas, I find it easier to notice any minor inaccuracies.

You are right, single channel should disconnect the AP below 2000 RA in CMD or CWS, there is an option on some NGs for this to happen above 2000 RA. Something to add to the upcoming list ;). There are many things being looked into as this is an on-going project, if you would like to mention the things missing such as above please feel free to post, realism is the goal here...[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

Guest flying_pilot

Hi!My GPWS is working only at 1000 ft altitude, never from 2500 (no call 2500). Is it normal? Thanks.

Guest neil_c

Hi Randy,It's good to hear you guys are striving to iron out such minor issues to get high realism levels. I'll try to post some useful feedback in the next couple of days.Any ideas about the missing height callouts on a second approach? Is no-one else having this problem?

Guest Ian_Riddell

"My GPWS is working only at 1000 ft altitude, never from 2500 (no call 2500). Is it normal? Thanks."It seems to have disappeared after the installation of SU1 (in both FS2002 and FS2004, Dennise. I'd say that the PMDG team are aware of this and plan to fix it in the next update.Cheers.Ian.

Guest flying_pilot

OK. Thanks Ian.

Guest neil_c

Is anyone else missing height callouts and the minimums call on a second approach after a go-around, despite climbing above 2500ft radio alt and resetting the decision height/alt? :-hmmm

Hi NeilVin answered this in another thread on this topic dated the 24th of aug.It is being looked at.RegardsPaul GollnickTechnical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Group[www.precisionmanuals.com]

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg