Sign in to follow this  

Question for the pros

Hi guys,Looking for a little help understanding departure procedures and radials and I thought some of you pros here could help. :) I'll use the BETTE 3 DEP. w/bridge climb out of KJFK via RW 31L as my example.We'll take off and proceed direct to the OGY NDB and then it says to fly a heading of 220 after that. Here's where I get confused. How do I tell the FMC to fly a 220 heading after reaching a waypoint (OGY in this case)? It then says to make the turn east of the CRI R-039 and remain within JFK 4.5 DME. How do I know where I am in correlation to that radial? I can't display that on my ND can I? Are pilots just looking at their paper map? Also, in regards to staying within 4.5 DME of JFK they're simply saying 4.5nm from the JFK VOR yes? It then wants us to cross the JFK R-253 at or above 2,500. I'm not actually intercepting that radial am I? Which would be a 073 INTC CRS I believe?? Ok...I'm getting confused even typing this. I'll stop now. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it..(ha ha no pun intended):-zhelpThanks a ton,Paul Wood

Guest tascaso

In the manual there should be a section on how to program a waypoint in relation to the station, the radial and miles DME to the station. This can be displayed on the ND.I am out of practice....been racing to much!Tony

You should find the approprate SID for your rwy from the DEP/ARR page. Press the ACTVATE/ENTER button. Your SID will be added to your flightplan. Afer you're airbourn press VNAV/LNAV and AP at 1000 agl.Now the aircraft will follow the SID, restriction and all. If you want to climb manualy, use the alt. arc to match up with alt. restriction. eg if you have to pass a waypoint at 6,000. Enter 6000 in the alt window and use v/s to place the ToC arc at the waypoint. That way you will pass the w/p at 6,000.The best way is to use VNAV.Hope that helps.Dave FisherCYYZ

Hi Paul,this is off the top of my head since I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

I just checked out the FMC in the PMDG 737 and and I can only say that the stuff I described can not be done with a 737 FMC. However, if you should find yourself in a 747-400 it should work, lol.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Tord,You got me going in the right direction at least. Thank you!-Paul Wood

Guest ilh

This kind of thing can be programmed into a SID/STAR file, but in my experience the PMDG NG won't necessarily fly it correctly, particularly following a heading without trying to fly some precomputed magenta ground track instead. Hopefully we'll see some improvements in this area, although PMDG has not commented on my several problem reports in the forum in this area.These kinds of departures are more fun to fly by hand or with the MCP. Setting up DME rings and radials on the FMC FIX page will draw all the needed components on the map. Or, you can use compass mode on the ND and fly off raw data. Try it!Lee Hetherington (KBED)