Sign in to follow this  

Some questions regarding IFR flights

Recently I had been flying from KAT6 (one of the overlay KATL versions)to KEWR (Simflyers)with default B737-400 in IFR mode (high attitude airways)After the 15-20 minutes of flight ATC told me that I had't maintain FL 305 even thought I had!!!! Altimeter was set up correctly as well. As a result, my IFR plan was cancelled and I had to shift to VFR mode.Thefore, my questions are following.1. Could this confusing problem be connected in some way with the overlay KATL or 3rd party KEWR *bgl files. I mean bugs.2. Are there any ways to re-establish IFR mode from VFR during the flight.3. How to switch on ILS Mode in VFR flight, because it's pretty difficult to land heavy B737 just using visual coordinates.I would appreciate your responses and instructions.Thank you very much in advance.PS. Once again, sorry for my English.

>2. Are there any ways to re-establish IFR mode from VFR >during the flight. Nope. none.>>3. How to switch on ILS Mode in VFR flight, because it's >pretty difficult to land heavy B737 just using visual >coordinates. You can use ILS in VFR weather, not sure what is stopping you.As you sharpen your skills however you should be able to land heavy using visual cues only - you might then use VASI lights to gide you to the runway. NAV display should help you "find" the runway - it is like a GPS.Michael J.

"You can use ILS in VFR weather,"Not sure that I did understand what you meant in the phrase above.Could you give, please, detailed step-by-step instruction?Thans.

ILS is a piece of equipment (on airplane and on the ground) which works the same regardless what weather it is. Does it make sense ?Airports have ILS turned on no matter what weather. Michael J.

Why are you flying at FL305? For THAT flight, you should be at FL330 or FL370, depending on you weight. You would not be assigned FL305....

BobK

>Why are you flying at FL305? For THAT flight, you should be >at FL330 or FL370, depending on you weight. You would not >be assigned FL305.... May be I'm stupid, by FS2002 IFR automatically assigned my flight for FL190. I changed it to FL305 to incrcease speed from max 420 (at FL190) to max 490 (depending on wind ddirection)

Guest paulri

Above FL180, you should have your altimeter set to 29.92. Below FL180 is when you use the announced altimeter setting. Since you most likely had the announced setting, ATC saw you at the wrong altitude even if you showed FL305 on your altimeter.If you do not specify what *correct* altitude you want when preparing your flight plan, FS2002 ATC will assign a CORRECT one--whether it makes sense or not. And the one you picked WAS wrong. That also could have been the problem. You cannot change ATC assigned altitudes in FS2002 (hopefully, that will be changed in the next version). If you do, then your flight plan will be cancelled and you are now VFR and on your own. FL190, for an easterly direction in the high altitude stratum in the US is correct in general terms. However, not for the larger airliners based on their performance characteristics. As was pointed out above--FL330 or FL370 would have been the right ones in this case. FAA regs state that at FL290 and above, easterly IFR flights in controlled airspace will be at 4000 feet intervals starting at FL290. Westerly, 4000 foot intervals starting at FL310. For other flight levels below FL290 down to FL180, different rules apply, and also different rules below FL180. Paul

Thanks guys. Today I've got a lot of knowledge.:)