Sign in to follow this  
Guest capherc

Entering forecast winds into FMC

Guest capherc

Gee, I never realized that I was supposed to enter forecast winds into the FMC. Is this why I have been experiencing so many DRAG REQUIRED / OVERSPEED DISCONNECT warnings when flying with a tailwind?Kenny Rogers

AH I love it when you answer your own questions ;).......... Remember that in a PATH DEScent the target DEScnet SPD is for planning or reference purposes only, it will make no attempt to follow the speed so in this case you might need to get rid of excess energy with the speedbrakes and with a tailind you can bet you will be pushing close to Vmo/Mmo but VNAV can take all the way to the barber poll before the AFDS reverts to LVL CH (actually 1 knot prior). You can always choose a SPD DEScent which will kept the target speed over the PATH, in this case you can try to maintain the PATh with use of the throttles or Speedbrakes. In either of these they will honor restrictions on the way down, SPD DESCent will temporarly level off at the restricton's altitude until passing it's original point on the PATH then resume the SPD DEScent.................... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest capherc

Thanks for the replies. I need to re-read the section on PATH DESCENTS versus SPEED DESCENTS.Kenny Rogers