Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 8.1b for XP....cant install:read here

Subject: Re: DirectX 8.1b Redist? Attachments: None From: "Philip Taylor [ MS ]" Sent: 6/27/2002 4:02:54 PM so I want to do 2 things here,both explain what is in the download and explain what is going on.first, what is going on: the fact that the download is out there, without an explanation, is an artifact of the release process here at MS. we have to release the download on the download server before we can get an MSDN page on it. so the enterprising click'ers have just gotten in to the raw download page before the MSDN page, which would explain what was in this update, went live.second, whats in this update: DirectX 8.1b Runtime Microsoft DirectX

Thank you very much. Nice to have you here.BobG

Thanks, and your welcome. This was giving me a headache and I knew there had to be an answer somewhere.

Guest PaulL01

Glen,Thanks a great deal for posting the XP info here!Also:> c.. Fixes flashing polygons/lines issues in some >applications that used DirectX 8.0 DrawPrim(), >DrawClippedPrim, DrawIndexedPrim() APIs. This seems to have fixed our baby! :)Take Care,

Ok, that was nice of him but Im still not getting the xp install.Unzipped. Looked at the cab files. The setup exe does nothing but I could not find any other install files. WazzzupBobG

I just relized the same thing! When i unzipped to a temp and then went their and clicked the install, it was done in a flash. I mean less than a second. I went to dxdiag and looked at the versions and nothing had changed. It's all the same versions from my Xp install. Not sure whats happening myself????Ed (The other Ed)

HiAfter reading this, I did a check on my computer. There were 74 updated files in the windowssystem folder dated 5/1/2002. The thing I can't remember is if the program asked my to reboot or not.Hope this helps.Ed

Guest nutcase

Hi.I can't see any download ling for dirextx 8.1b. just directx 8.1a and no link for the XP verion. WHERE is DIRECTX 8.1b for XP??Jan Roar R

Hi thereHere are the titles of the hotfixesComputer Does Not Resume After You Connect a USB Camera (Q307207)(win2000 only)DirectX: AmCap Does Not Start When You Install It As a Service (Q318507) This one you also have to get straight from Microsoft, by emailing them or calling them personally. It replaces the Quartz.dll and they say its best to wait for the service packs for XP and service pack 3 for Win 2000 for a fix.The other one didnt exist when I did a search for it so I dont know why or even what it is. I guess that I will have to wait for the service pack which I think is due out soonish, anyway its not like I cant live with some flickering textures, its been like that for months anyway.Craig

Thank you, Muskoka, good to have your input and welcome to you.It seems to have fixed the flickering clouds issue on my Voodoo 5. Talk of these improvements here, prompted me to switch high cirrus back on through FSUIPC, to check, et voila - nice stable cirrus.Happy bunny.PH