Sign in to follow this  
Guest lbb

2,500 feet altitude call out sometimes missing (even on first flight)

Guest lbb

Hi guys,I have noticed that the 2,500 feet altitude call out is not always given. Now, I know there are some problems if you make a second flight in the same aircraft, but this even happens when I start up FS from scratch. Oddly enough, sometimes I do get it, but it seems most times it's not there. The 1,000 feet and lower call outs never fail, so this seems to be a particular problem with this call out.Since it is the first call out to occur on descent, could it be that there are circumstances when it is "armed" to late? For instance when there is a large difference between baro and radio altitude? I'm only speculating here.Has anyone had this same thing happen?Leo Bakker

Guest MSMITH6

Last night I did an approach and had the 2500 call out and all subsequent ones. Had to do a missed approach. After that, not another single callout.

"Last night I did an approach and had the 2500 call out and all subsequent ones. Had to do a missed approach. After that, not another single callout."The (real) 737NG callouts are only reset when you fly above the first callout you heard. Did you fly above 2500' _Radio Height_ (plus or minus a few feet) during your Go-Around? If your airport is at, say 1000' above sea level, you will have to fly to at least 3500' above sea level to reset the callouts.Cheers.Ian.

Guest MSMITH6

Ian-I don't recall what altitude I went to after MA, will do another to check. However, do you mean ALL callouts will not be reset unless you exceed 2500' above ground level? So no 500', etc.?Thanks

" However, do you mean ALL callouts will not be reset unless you exceed 2500' above ground level? So no 500', etc.?"On the real aircraft (as I understand it), if you, say, descend to 200' during your missed approach, you will have to fly above 2500' (if that was your first callout) to reset all callouts between (and including) 2500 and 200'. However, if you don't fly back up to 2500', you should still hear all the normal callouts below 200'.I didn't have the chance to check this out in SU-2, so I don't know if all of this logic was implemented(???).Any help?Cheers.Ian.

Guest lbb

Hi guys,I haven't tried that particular scenario, Ian. I know there are some issues with second flights and with go-arounds and things like that. I would like to point out that the particular problem I described happens to me even with a normal, regular first flight. I'm surprised there aren't more people who have noticed this. Or is it just the unlucky few who suffer :-)Since the altitude call outs also seem to be missing during descent I was wondering if perhaps the changes to the GPWS have somehow had an unwanted side-effect on these call outs?Leo Bakker

Guest lbb

Just did a go-around, climbed to 4000 feet (4012 AGL, this is Holland) and made another approach. No 2500 feet call out, which didn't surprise me, since it hadn't been there the first time either, no 1000 feet, etc, until after passing 400 feet from where I had started the go-around. From then on, there were all the call-outs from 300 feet down to 10 feet.I would say all this points to two different problems:- For some reason the 2,500 feet call out is the odd one out, sometimes you hear it, sometimes you don't.- For the others, after starting from cold and dark, you will only hear them once. Whether you're on a go-around or on a through flight, they won't be reset.Leo Bakker

Captains-according to our real-world captain and engineer advisors, the callouts don't get reset until 3500AGL.As such, your missed approach should climb further than 3500AGL to reset the call outs.Also-each callout is programmed to sound if your Vertical speed is higher than 150ft/min descending. As such, if you're "slowly" descending through 2500AGL, you will never hear the callout. This is per real world manuals.Same goes for gear down- in order to hear any of the altitude callouts, your gear must be down.Cheers,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest lbb

Hi Lefteris,Thanks for the input. However, since I climbed to 4012 AGL, the callouts should have reset. Apparently they were not, since I only got the call outs I hadn't already had on the previous approach. Also, it has been noted by a number of people, including myself, that if you do NOT start a flight from scratch, there will be no callouts. So I really do feel there is something about the reset that doesn't quite work as you describe it should.As for the other factors, since gear down is quite often at 2,000 feet but sometimes higher, that might explain why the 2,500 feet call out can be heard sometimes but not always. I do wonder, though, if this might be a company specific option? I do have quite a few real world manuals myself, of both the various 737's and other models, but have never come across this particular restriction.Leo Bakker

"I do wonder, though, if this might be a company specific option?"Now that Lefteris reminded me.... :-)I looked in the Boeing Maintenance Manual Description & Operation for a couple of airlines and the gear down requirement is mentioned. The BMM doesn't specifically say if this is an option or not (but it generally will tell you if something is optional). Still seems odd, though, that it should work this way in real life. A 2500' callout might be a handy reminder to extend your gear... before you start getting more serious reminders to do so.Cheers.Ian.

Guest lbb

On a DVD of a Transavia 738 I noticed that the 2,500 feet call out is indeed missing when the gear is up. While I still don't see the logic of this, I mostly use the Transavia livery in the PMDG, so if it's good enough for the real world Transavia, I guess it'll have to do for me too :-)Leo Bakker