Sign in to follow this  
Guest yardbird

PMDG and FSbuild

First of all : PMDG737NG is the best Add on I have ever seen !!!! Yesterday I bought FSBuild21 at simmarket and in combination with PMDG737NG it is just great.In this matter I have a few short questions.I create a flightplan with FSBuild and export it to FS204 and PMDG737NG in order to have ATC support according to my flightplan - so far nor problems. Now I got the clearence to my flightplan by ATC:"...cleared to ... as filed...maintain runway heading climb to 6000". Ok after takeoff I start climbing to 6000, at 1000 feet ATC already gives me a vector to my actual route including the remark to proceed on course or to resume own navigation. (first question: Is this normal ?). Now I turn to this heading, lets say 140 and start resuming to my flightplan. But then after beeing on my route ATC says "please expidite your turn to 140". Ok I follow the ATC-command and now nothing happens !!! I flew heading 140 for more then 50 miles in the wrong direction and aborted the flight. I actually thought that ATC would give me vectors according to my flightplan including the sid-procedure which was build into the flightplan ?????Thanx for comments !Felix

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The default MS ATC will not allow you to fly a SID. When you take off you have to fly runway heading or you're given a heading to fly. ATC will then vector you onto you filed route.Many SID's have starting points very close to the runway, sometimes the first point can be right at the end of the runway. This causes a problem for MS ATC, as it's trying to vector you to points that are probably too close for the airport for it to deal with. If you continue using MS ATC, my advice would be to not include a SID, and ensure that the first waypoint on the plan is a good distance from the airport, to allow the ATC to sort itself out.If you want a more realistic ATC program, check out Radar Contact. It's much more advanced than the default ATC and will allow you to fly your own SID's and STAR's without any interference. The site is www.jdtllc.com.-Phil

Thanx for your comment - indeed the first waypoint of the sid was almost at the runway.Its funny as you just metioned radar contact, because I was just browsing at this site a minute ago :-)They have just published a beta-version, which probably is full of bugs, so I don't want to buy it yet - but it is still an option. Now my question: I have read a review about Radar Contact 3.0 at avsim and they claim that the sound files can sound a bit crude. Can you or anybody comment this, because none of my friends owns Radar contact...Felix

I had this problem once with just FS and a default plane, so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the NG or FSBuild (I use both now). The ATC doesn't know or care that your flight plan includes a SID, it will just expect you to fly as filed. It will keep you on runway heading until you get cleared to the first controller after the tower (usually departure), which may cause you to skip over the first few waypoints if they are close to the runway, but the next controller will vector you back to your filed path.I'm pretty sure the cause was something screwed up in the default saved file that I used. The saved flights store your ATC status. I think one common case is that the ATC status doesn't get reset after you end a flight, so that if you save your flight to a file after finishing a trip controlled by ATC, and then reload that saved file to start a new flight it will be confused.Just to confirm, look at the FLT file that you used and check for a section like this. These are the default values, and I suspect you have something other than these (such as the HdgAssigned field :-) ).[ATC_Aircraft.0]ActiveFlightPlan=FalseRequestedFlightPlan=FalseAcState=ACSTATE_REQUEST_TAXI_CLEARANCE_OUT_VFR_ATISNumberofWaypoints=0ClearanceFlags=80CtCur=CLEARANCE_NONEWaypointNext=0AltCleared=-1HdgAssigned=-1(etc.)I've seen two resolutions to the problem:One (what I did) is to just save the file before making a trip so that the ATC info in the file is the default.The other solution I've heard of is to just change the heading of the plane 1 degree in the map screen while you're on the ground, which will reset ATC. You can then save your flight to a file and reload it next time without a problem.Hope this helps.Aaron