Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Extreme conditions possible?!

HelloI would just like to know if you virtual pilots are trying to land in the extreme conditions when flying or always using real weather? And if yes, what are wind settings that you were able to land with and what were your crash tresholds (what kind of wind, how strong etc...)?Because, I just tried (only) one setting, 45 knots sidewind (a bit from the front, but mainly right side) and gusts to 80 knots. Extreme turbulence, moderate icing, -40 degrees C, heavy rain. I managed to get the a/c more or less down the glideslope, but because the speed was unable to maintain (autothrottle), at least not at 40 flaps calculated Vapp, I set Vapp to 15 flaps, but still a/c tended to stall. And then because it was "jumping" around too much, I simply wasn't able to land, i would either crash beside the runway, or on it, or before, depends...Anyway, your thoughts would be much appreciated! :)

That would never happen in the real world. There is a limit on cross wind speed landings, off hand I do not recall but think it's in the 15-25 range, maybe someone knows off hand. So best to practice at the maxium eh ;).....[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

Guest Andrew Potts

35 knots xwind comp for the EG, 36 for the NG.

Is that 35knots with gusts or without?

Guest Andrew Potts

With gusts. Landing on 27 in an NG, 180/34 OK, 200/20G37 not OK.

Guest Ray CYYZ

You are reminding me when I came into Victoria Airport with those numbers. Lovely crosswind. A certain tower guy had not bothered to change the active runway to reflect the fact that the crosswind was well beyond the landing capabilities of aircraft.Th moral of the story, One can only crab so much before one is flying sideways instead of forward. At that point, a alternative runway just might be a good plan.Quite the repairs for that landing. Good thing the airport picked up the bill. My second closest call ;)Ray

Andrew, could you please explain in the bit detail what you mean, I didn't quite full understand your numbers.And it appears to me that I don't know what is exactly "gust". Someone please explain this to me?Thx!

Guest Iz

Well, the gust is the limiting factor for your crosswind. If you have 270/30G40, then 30 knots is the steady wind with occasional gusts of 40 knots. If you were to receive a 40 knot gust just as you're flaring, you won't be happy. Not that it's that big a deal, it's just a max demonstrated crosswind figure. Actually, the max crosswind figure is not a limitation (ie. you can go over it), however, some companies set actual limitations on the maximum winds you're allowed to take off or land with.