Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoghead

Setting up for fly-by-hand

What is the best way to set up for fly by hand? I've been starting at the airport then drag the plane to a particular area: setup direction, altitude, speed then stabilize the plane and proceed from there. If I'm 50 miles out I'll setup the MCP, then disengage A/P 10 miles out and hand fly the remanider. The problem occurs after disengaging A/P and A/Thrtl. The flight controls feel unresponsive; not nearly enough deflection. This is probably something I'm not doing right. John Franklin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey:Might not even be related - But did you by any chance limit the turn rate when you had the AP on (clicking on the spots sideways of the HDG select knob)? Also, make sure that if you're disengaging, you do it by clicking the disengage bar below the AP, not by just clicking the buttons (just to make sure everything is off properly).Mind you, I am by no means too experienced at fixing issues (haven't had any), but I hope this helps.Daniel P.

Mind you, there may be various factors in such a situation...- Your hydraulic pumps may be OFF and thus no control surface will move, except (i think) the elevators.- Your trim setting may not be correct for the state you leave the aircraft in, after you un-slew it.- You may have an inappropriate speed/descent/flaps/speedbrake configuration that diminishes authority over the control surfaces.etcMy 2 cents of advice, try to prepare the aircraft from the ground up, fly it by hand and take it to an approximate position, where you would otherwise take it to with slew, engage the A/P and continue as before to see where the fault was.In the worst case, try reinstalling the thing..:)Hope i helped.:D

Make sure also that you have drained some fuel out of the tanks. You will be too heavy with 100% fuel. Also use the FMC to calculate a proper approach speed. The 737 is one of the best planes to fly by hand. I managed to fly the Funchal runway 5 approach the other day! http://www.dangerous-airports.com/airports/l/lpma.htm Great fun.