Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

kerosene31

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by kerosene31

  1. For me it has always been hit or miss. Vectors can work well, or they can be a total disaster. I've had them vector me to a nice gentle angle for the runway, and I've had them send me in the complete wrong direction. There's no middle ground for me, either vectoring is good or terrible. What I do is just load the appropriate instrument approch for the runway and fly that. Always brief an approach so you know where you should be, and how high. If BATC gives you instructions that doesn't put you reasonably on that line to final, ignore them and just fly the approach. Even if you get cleared visual you can fly the instrument. The program isn't going to care. The minute you get an instruction that makes no sense, it probably has gone off the rails. Just fly yourself. If they give you vectors that look to be right, you can follow them.
  2. I took a closer look and there is a calendar with Oct 15th circled, so that's probably it. It is on the left side of the first picture. Kind of funny that a screen to the right has someone browsing Rockstar games. 😄
  3. It begs the question, why haven't other apps been able to get this same data? The video shows the plane just dancing on the runway and not really taking off. Supposedly it doesn't work with ATC either. Shows promise with some updates, but not sure if that's really useable based on what the video showed.
  4. In one of the pictures they posted, a clock read 10:10. No idea if that's the hint they referenced, but that would be my guess. No clue if they'd release on a Saturday.
  5. There's a good freeware SBA on fs to that works in 2020 and 24.
  6. Yeah I figured they had issues. I always liked the C24R in 2020 and even flew it in 2024 a bit. Looking forward to the upgrade.
  7. I get a message saying the beta is disabled until tomorrow (not sure when this was posted). Is everyone else seeing the same thing? (I do own the 2020 version through their store).
  8. People here recommended ublock origin light for Chrome (if you use Chrome) when this has come up in the past. It works great for me, I never get a popup about any adblockers or have site issues. I installed it and haven't thought about it since, it just seems to work (for now anyway).
  9. You could say that people might be getting themselves into very hot water... 😉
  10. For me, the A2A Comanche is my #1 GA addon. I don't fly the Aerostar much, but I think that comes down to the plane itself, not the quality of the addon. I only have a single throttle quadrant, so getting the engines started is a challenge. I think if I had a twin throttle, I would enjoy it a lot more. A2A is still a must buy for me. For me I think their custom flight dynamics put them over the top. There's a lot of very good GA addons, but there's something about flying A2A that just feels better.
  11. Can't wait for this release. Sounds like it is getting closer. I do love the older gauges, but choice is best. I've heard of the $100 hamburger, but you folks are taking it to another level with all this fancy food. 😀
  12. What I find with the default weather is that sometimes it can be really amazing, other times totally wrong. It is just a mixed bag in my experience. I live right near an airport/weather station, and too often, MSFS just didn't show anything close to the correct weather. Sometimes it can be perfect, but other times, not so much. We had a weekend a couple years ago with low ceilings and IFR conditions all weekend. Planes were breaking out of the clouds a few hundred feet. I wanted to practice some IFR approaches, but MSFS 2024 gave me a partly cloudy layer up high and nothing else. Weather was VFR in the sim. That said, I've seen default weather simulate the unique snow patterns we get around my area. It just has this weird tendency to sometimes just make the weather nicer than it is outside. I ran out and bought ActiveSky for 2024 and have used it ever since. It isn't perfect, but seems to be overall more accurate. ActiveSky can have transitions between weather stations, but I don't fly long flights and it isn't much of an issue for me. Overall, Activesky gives me that "out the window" accuracy more often. My tip though is don't rush out and start throwing addons at the sim. Do some research. There's lots of Youtube videos that will show products and various options. It is perfectly reasonable to use default weather.
  13. Yeah, and of course the plastic rudder pedals I'm using aren't nearly the same either. I run into the same thing with helicopters. Way less resistance and range of motion. For landing, I'm finding 50mph is the sweet spot. 60 or higher and it is going to roll. I was coming in around 70 (this thing doesn't slow down without flaps) and letting the flare bleed off speed. Now, I slip to get that speed down to nearly 50 or lower by touchdown. Not sure how realistic that is, but it handles better.
  14. I real that a forward slip into landing helps a lot. Now that I'm getting the speed off better, my landings have more survivors! I really like Gotfriends aircraft. I love their Aeroprakt Vixxen (great visibility for sightseeing). My only gripe is that the manual should explain how to fly the Taylorcraft a bit. Not knowing a target speed for landing was causing me issues. It would be nice if the manual had a quick explanation of target speeds, etc, especially since being at the wrong speed will cause problems. Anyway really enjoying the Taylorcraft now.
  15. Finally got a chance to give the trial a whirl and I really like this aircraft. Not necessarily a real aircraft that I would seek out, but it is so fun to fly. One big question - I really struggled after touchdown holding the centerline. I know ground looping is a real problem in taildraggers, but wondering if it is my old rudder pedals/lack of skill or what? I can land this on a full runway, but a tigher strip with trees would not be possible. I was practicing a bit and trying to manage speed better (this thing is hard to slow down) and doing ok. I just have an ancient pair of CH Pedals that I've been using forever. I tried adjusting the sensitivity, but messing with the curves seemed to make it worse when I needed full deflection. It seemed better leaving it linear. I've been thinking of replacing my old pedals, they aren't the best but get the job done. I've learned to take off ok, smoothly applying power. I'll probably get it and keep practicing. Again I know ground looping is a real problem. I was doing some research on the real plane and they say that they've all been ground looped at least once by now. If this is realistic, great! Otherwise it is a ton of fun to fly, even low and slow. It is just great to hand fly. It only tries to kill me on landing only!
  16. Having more than one site is great, but ultimately it becomes an endless loop. Site A starts up doing something well, gets bigger and bigger, monetizes more, Site B pops up offering to do it better, gets bigger, etc. It happens all over IT. There's actually a term for it I probably can't type, but something like en-poop-ification. It isn't just a joke, but an actual problem where as things get bigger they tend to get worse for consumers. Again, not preaching against an alternate site. I registered there and will check it out. I'm just saying, the cycle will keep going. One site will "win", get worse, etc.
  17. Do you have Chaseplane installed? If I am remembering correctly, it does something to change the default flashlight and you need to map the key in Chaseplane itself.
  18. A few people here recommended uBlock Origin light for Chrome. I've been using it for awhile now and have not had a single problem (and fs dot to works just fine too).
  19. It puts my identity at risk if I have to share out my personal data. Major corporations already can't keep their data safe, I don't want to have to send it to even more companies. IT jobs are getting cut all over, IT security is getting worse, not better. I can't repeat any of the stories I hear, but I'll just say, you should be very afraid at how these companies mishandle your data. You might not even be aware what companies have your data. Your employer could contract out to a payroll company that has everything on you. Maybe your employer chose the cheapest one instead of the best one. I won't go down that rabbit hole, but let's just say many of these companies will gladly hand your data over to a government without question. There's plenty of programs that parents can run to limit what their kids can interact with. Parents stick a screen in front of a kid instead of parenting them.
  20. Interesting, it was just gone by the time I logged in so I never knew the price. I definitely don't want people paying full price for sure if they already have the wheeled version, I know not everyone follows Discord.
  21. Just a heads up, FSReborn released a float/amphib version of the TL3000. However only the stand-alone package is in the marketplace. There's a bundle that includes both wheeled and this new version, and it should have a significant discount for anyone who owns the wheeled version. There was a marketplace issue with the bundle, so if you already own the TL3000 wheeled version, wait until the bundle and your discount. Also you might want to hold off on the floats if you want to get both. They expect the bundle should appear Monday hopefully. I was almost going to buy the float at full price, but then I wondered where the discount was. I did some digging around their discord and found this out. I figure not everyone is on Discord and might be interested.
  22. I have used Bijan's addon for awhile now, but I gave this a try. My casual observations: I flew in Florida and the northeast US. I don't think it is easy to pick which looks "best", because that's subjective, dependent on conditions and probably varies all over the world, and time of year, etc. Burning Blue trees are definitely clearer and more defined. While Bijan's does more to capture that "forest" look. With BBD, individual trees stand out more, and the height seems a little more varied. Bijan's trees seem to blend together a little better. It is a little hard to describe, when you look at a bunch of trees, you don't "see" individual" trees, but a blending. Maybe it is just more shadows and darkness in Bijan. I guess Bijan's captures the forest look a little better, while BBD the individual trees? The fewer trees, BBD looks better, more - Bijans. Long story short, which am I using moving forward? I'm going with BBD for now, the trees do look very nice. That said, if you already own Bijans, do you need to upgrade? Of course not. That said the cost isn't very high if you are interested in checking them out. Again though, I don't think there's a "right" answer. They are both good addons and I'm interested to see where both go.
  23. Is SA GA traffic flying proper traffic patterns or just straight in?
  24. Did you know? Boat is an acronym for "bust out another thousand $$$"
  25. That's interesting. I stick with BATC because of the cost, and I like it, but it really doesn't touch GA airfields at all. Hopefully the BATC VFR additions change that in the future. I don't think I've ever seen an AI plane at an airport that wasn't also running airliners.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.