Sign in to follow this  
TomCYYZ

Trim Settings %MAC (Mean Aerodynamic Chord)

Hi, this is probably for a real world pilot. I am using the chart from the PMDG AOM for "Takeoff Stabilizer Trim Settings" for the 737 700 NG. I have no idea how to calculate %MAC (Mean Aerodynamic Chord) which you would need to use the chart properly. I am assuming that CG (Centre of Gravity) for airfoils differs between aircraft types and models. Currently I use a best guess scenario of 24% as I am aware that around 25% IS A GOOD STARTING POINT. I am wondering if anyone else uses this chart and if so how do you determine the %MAC? In any event I'll continue to use 24% (Best Guess).Regards,Tom Stewart

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't have the 700 specs but I'll see if I can dig out the 300 stuff and at least it'll give you something to hang your hat on. For the purists, I know the 700 has a different wing etc but you take what you can get in Flightsimming! Also a good rule of thumb is to just set the trim in the green arc somewhere near 5 and that will get you airborne, its not as precise as the real thing but it won't make you crash or cause a take off config warning! you can sort the finesse of the trim out once you leave the ground and get a feel for it. Kris

Thanks Kris, look forward to that info. I appreciate your reply.Tom