Sign in to follow this  
Guest PoM

How the flight starts out....

Guest PoM

When I takeoff.....when do I engage autopilot......also will the autopilot control the vertical speed and speed itself....or do I need to type these numbers in beacause I didn't see them when I was programming the flight .....also how do I know where to circle at...I think it is called holding....Thank you

Hello you need to sign your real name to your posts in this forum, thanks! With a programed route you can arm LNAV on the ground but most real world operations do this at 400 AGL (do this=select a roll mode). In flight sim you can engage VNAV prior to flaps retraction and there is much debate about whether it is a correct procedure but I always say it's best to first go flaps up/BUG speed and then VNAV (I guess there is flaps speed protection on the NG). You can also go AP/CMD - LVL CH which will keep the V2 set speed that one sets in TO and you must manually change (speed up) for flaps up speed etc. If you do not pre select a pitch mode prior to engagement of a CMD (A/P) (like arming VNAV) LVL CH will be the default pitch mode in TOGA (TOGA mode when you push the TOGA button on the MCP for TO thrust @ 60ish N1) when you turn on the A/P (push a CMD A/:(. If you use VNAV the speed with be 250/ until 10000 unless you hyave flaps out, so retract and speed will go to 250' thence (passing 10000') climb target speed. For LVL CH set desired speed on the MCP. There are some handy flying guides in the file library... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest boxjockey99

I've just been in the sim for a refresher prior to doing my line training so had to run through all the SOP's etc. This subject of when to use VNAV cam eup so I'll try to outline it while it's still fresh in my head (bear in mind this is relevant to the classic - 3/4/500 series)VNAV is the mode with which we allow the FMC to control the VERTICAL profile of the flight, it provides all sorts of additional features that you simply don't get when you use N1 or SPEED mode my company SOP's recommend the following:At positive rate call GEAR UPat 400 feet select a roll mode (usually LNAV but possibly HDG SEL)at 1000 feet select a pitch mode;-Use of VNAV means you don't need to worry about exceeding flap limit speeds (I know the NG does this in all modes), as you select the next flap VNAV Will command the next speed rather than manually setting it in the speed window.-VNAV also provides a good bit of level bust protection in that you have any SID altitude restrictions built into the vertical profile when you select the SID in the FMC but it will also not exceed the MCP alt so you're #### is covered! Use of VNAV after flap retraction and attaining your preferred speed is OK BUT not necessary, VNAV Will do it all for you, it will go for all the canned speeds and make sure you don't make a dick of yourself! By selecting LVL CHange you are just increasing the number of button pushes and knowb twists and potentially keeping your speed lower for longer, let the automatics do the work, I could describe the full takeoff profile but It'd take some time, if you want it post again and I'll do so. On the question of holding, holds are not mandatory unless aTC tell you to do so or don't take you straight off to the approach from the end of the STAR. IF your plate doesn't specifically state you must hold then don't as it is more work and more fuel burnt!Hope that helps

Hi Kris,First of all, good to see some real life drivers on the forum. I'm not an often poster, but learn a lot from the PMDG guys and real drivers like you and Timothy. I'm very interested in how you bring your 300 bird up in the air. So if you're willing to describe the exact procedure, please do!With regards to flying a SID yourself, does this happen or do you let "the machinery" do the job for you all the time.Very interested in your reply.Tnx and regards,Michel

Guest boxjockey99

You asked for it:This is the procedure and calls as we do them for the departure on the 300 - 500 series.Once lined up a/THR armed F/D's on etcPilot flying (PF) takes the thrust levers, advances them to 40%n1 and ensures they stabilise, once stable hit TOGAPF calls 'set take off thrust'Pilot Not Flying (PNF)looks at the FMA and announces N1, TOGA Once engines are at cimputed N1, PNF calls 'Thrust Set'At 80kt PNF calls 80kt and also verifies THROTTLE HOLD (THR HLD) so call is '80kt Throttle Hold' PF should reply 'Check' note this is an incapacitation call, if PF doesn't reply the PNF should call '90kt', if still no responce the PNF MUST ABORT!!At V1 (Vr usually follws cery close behind)PNF calls 'V1, Rotate'PF pitches nose up to 18 degreesPNF calls 'Positive rate' when a climb shows on the VSIPF calls 'Gear up' and PNF actions itPassing 400 ft rad alt PNF calls '400ft'PF calls 'LNAV' which the PNF actions (can also be HDG SEL)Passing 1000ft rad alt PNF calls '1000ft'PF calls 'VNAV' or 'N1 210' which is selected by the PNF (if N1 210 is called N1 is pushed and 210 dialled into the speed window.Once passed 1000ft flap retraction can be actioned, if in Vnav you may select the next stage of flap once past the Green 'F' and accellerating, the schedule says, 170kt flap 1, 190 flap 0, 210 min clean manoever. normally once clean ie flaps up no lights the speed is set at 250kt.Once flaps up no lights the PNF actions the scan for the after takeoff checks prior to running the checks. This is namely: Gear lever to OFFAutobrake to OFFEngine Start switches to OFFVHF nav switches to AUTO (Classic only, not fitted on the NG)Once cleared to a flight level the PF calls for the after takeoff checks which are done by the PNF and up we go to cruise And that is that!Kris

Guest georg

In reality they sometimes dont engage the Autopilot at all in the beginning. With good weather pilots can fly up to 10000ft manually if they want. Its pretty up to you, though you should never do these things before the facts Kris said in his post.

Keep in mind fellas that one does not pitch straight up to 18 degrees on a 800-900 or even a NG for that matter! You must NOT over-rotate, the 800-900 is much longer and there is great danger of a tail strike! In FS this will cause all kinds of strange problems. at VR you must hold a 8-9 degree pitch (Positive rate) and then slowly pitch (2.5) or you will eat some runway (not good). Kris is also giving you his SOP, not what all companies do, so keep that in mind. I have yet to find a real NG pilot who goes for VNAV prior to flaps retraction but that is not to say there are not any ;-). [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest boxjockey99

You are correct with the over rotation, Rotation should be at about 3 degrees per second. Even the 300 strikes the tail at 13 degrees so we need to be just as careful. There are also other things you need to take into consideration such as rotation hesitation at around 10 degrees where thrust from the engines effectively stops the rotation and requires an extra heave past the 10ish degree mark. So what I am saying is that you need to rotate gently and not haul it into the air like a fighter, which it isn't it should take about 5 or 6 seconds to get to 18 degrees by which time you should be well clear of the ground!As I have said I am a 300 driver not an NG driver but it is my understanding that VNAV is the norm for NG ops even from 1000ft prior to flap retraction, It's not gospel but I'll check it out with the NG instructors at GECAT next time I'm there, in the mean time forget I mentioned it! Kris

Guest ba747heavy

>Thanks Kris!!!>>Feel free to give us this kind of info WHENEVER the urge>strikes! :):-lol I concur!

Guest JDavidson

Kris,I was wondering what it is, that as a real-world pilot, motivates you in Flight Simulator / PMDG 737.Many thanks,James Davidson

Guest boxjockey99

Firstly, it's a hobby, I like to fly different aircraft see how other manufacturers do things so mainly I use the complex add-ons in order to get the realism. By doing this I get a good take on how the overall functionality of things work. For example if I play with the PSS Airbus A330 and then with the PMDG 737 then with the Wilco A320 (poor as it is) and get each to do a CAT3 autoland, I can get 3 different views of how to do the same thing so thereforee better understand the fundamentals of the basic procedure, maybe I'm wierd but it's how I learn.Secondly its' the old adage 'practice makes perfect'. If I play with a complex addon like PMDG, Dream fleet and the like prior to going to a Sim ride or line check I can get all the various checklists scans and memory items squared into my head and I can do each detail many times. Thus when I go and do the sim or line-check I don't look like an idiot.Third, I write articles and so by keeping my hand in the sim world I can keep up with whats happening and so be more in touch with the people who read my work in Flightsim.com or PC pilot. Finally, I quite enjoy it as I get to do things in the sim that I can't do in an aircraft with 148 pax in the back or without breaking several aviation laws, I'm sure flying a DC10-30 under the golden gate bridge would result in my confinement in a luxury penitentiary with an ocean view! Hope that helpsKris

Guest JDavidson

Kris,Thanks for your answer.I suppose that as a stockbroker I too enjoy taking part in fictitious trading simulations. In a similar way to your situation they are fun, allow you to try new ideas without injury and also improve one's performance in the real world.Yours,James Davidson