Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

Well, the long shot came through...one engine in the 73

I set the random failure setting again tonight to lose an engine randomly sometime in 600 minutes (still much more likely in the sim than in the air with those odds, by the way...)Well, I lost it!So, how do you land this thing. I couldn't give it enough rudder to overcome the uneven thrust - and when I lowered the thrust, I started having problems with stalling.So do you do a steeper descent, so you keep the speed with less thrust? Do you crab the plane into the working engine, to try to tack straight?I can't wait to find out. Thanks.Colin

Find out the best glide speed for your aircraft and I reccomend shutting down both engines or feathering them. You should be able to find an airport and keep control of the plane. Jordan T. Sexton

Guest Martin

>Find out the best glide speed for your aircraft and I >reccomend shutting down both engines or feathering them.That's a good way to do it... if you want to get yourself killed! :-eek The point of having two engines is of course that you can fly on the working engine if one engine fails... Shutting down the remaining engine would be rather idiotic. :-rollFrom the "73" in the subject line I assumed he was talking about a 737. To make it simple, if you lose an engine in a twin jet, you compensate with rudder into the the good engine. Then you use rudder trim so you can relieve pressure on the pedals. When trimmed for the situation, flying the plane isn't very different from under normal situations - even the autopilot should be able to handle it. You must remember though, that any thrust changes will also cause changes in yaw. And you should by no means use the A/T when flying on one engine (in real planes it will usually be disabled when only one engine is operative). Approach should be done with less than normal landing flaps. Take the 767 for example, the normal landing configuration is flaps 30 (or 25), but with only one engine flaps should only be extended to 20 degrees (so you still have adequate G/A performance).Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Thanks for the input. I'll try it again with heavy trim. Thanks!