Sign in to follow this  
gbalean

Another fly spreading maggots

Well, I didn't want to use the 'B*g' word - sounds harsh. I posted this a while ago: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search about a minor transition problem, not about setting trans alt and level, but incorrect altimeter settings.PMDG devs / beta testers please reply once you have seen this issue, to let me know you've seen it - I'll stop reposting it then :)Just a quick mention also - I had an engine failure at V1 for the first time today. Only thing I did differently I think was not use FS AutoStart (new build wasn't saving profile for me. fixed). I just managed to stop before running into the grass, after a moment of absolute surprise. Restarted machine and all programs again, after fixing AutoStart (didn't want it happening again, just in case) and we ended up taking off 35 minutes later. ;)Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

If the "B" word is Baro, I don't think PMDG mind, Geoffrey ;-)I don't know much about the internals of PMDG, but it may be a good idea when flying the PMDG NG to try to use the "real" aircraft controls when possible or at least the PMDG-specific controls (rather than FS shortcut keys). Using MSFS shortcut keys can cause confusion at times.My aircraft has been temporarily grounded because of the V1 engine cutout problem, so it's difficult for me to check what actually happens in the sim, but.... as far as I can recall, on the real aircraft, you dial in the new baro setting when you are above transition (this should generate a white QNH baro value below STD on the PFD), and when ATC clears you to an altitude (rather than a Flight Level), you hit the button on the EFIS control panel to initiate the STD~QNH changeover. What happens next depends on whether or not the FMC knows what the transition altitude is (which could be anything from 2,000' to 20,000' (maybe even more or less). When you enter a destination airport, the FMC should look into its database and see exactly what is the transition altitude/height is for that particular airport. I can't recall if the PMDG sim knows what the transition alts/heights are for each airport, whether you have to manually enter this value.. or what(?). It may or may not be programmed. Sims like PS1, for example, have you programme in your own TA's to help the sim along.Anyway, try the PMDG controls first and if that doesn't help... I'm sure PMDG or one of the many PMDG volunteers will help fill in the gaps for us ;-)Cheers.Ian.

Thanks for the response ;), though that wasn't quite what I was trying to say. What I am saying is that if you finish one flight, commence another without restarting flight sim or anything (turnaround) on descent the aircraft thinks the transition altitude is 18000 ft always even when you have set say 10,000 ft in the FMC perf init page.The next bit of the prob is that between this 10,000 i've set as transition altitude and 18000 ft, pushing 'b' for local baro setting will result in the altimeter/qnh setting being displayed below STD, however it doesn't display above 18,000 ft when 'b' is pushed again.Climbing up to 10,000 local qnh set and displayed. @ 10,000 STD pushed, qnh still displayed below STD. Just past 18,000 push 'b' again and the qnh disappears below the word STD. Therefore, this problem is just cosmetic, however it is a problem.Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Geoffrey,A couple of things - Take a look at the FMC manual page 8-45, Descent Forecasts page. You need to set the TRANSITION LEVEL (TL) for your destination airport manually. This will be expressed as a Flight Level (FL) e.g 70, although it seems that you have to input 7000 via LSK1. As Ian explained the TL is the FL at which, when passing through it during your descent, you'll start using the local QNH (as opposed to STD 1013/29.92) for your altimeter setting.So, remember TA is the altitude (as input on the PERF INIT page) passing which you'll swith to STD during climb-out, TL (as input on the DES FORECASTS page) is the FL passing which you swith to the local QNH during descent. I'm not sure that this will help with second part of your question, but I never use the B key, just input the QNH obtained from ATIS manually.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Greetings and Salutations again!Oh! Didn't know you had to input another one there (did RTFM)! However, I'm not sure whether this explains why it works the first time you fly, but not when you conduct a turnaround :| Maybe when you initially set it up, when you set TA as 10,000 it sets TL at FL100 automatically, however when you conduct your descent on the first flight, it reverts the TL to FL180.IN REGARDS TO B KEY (Currently the latest way to put it as simply as possible ;)):[With TA as 10,000, CLIMBING]= Climbing to 10,000 - pushing b key sets local qnh, displays under vertical speed tape on PFD.= Climbing Through 10,000 set STANDARD - pushing b still sets local qnh below vsi (doesn't use local qnh, just displays it still)= Climbing Through FL180 when FL180 is not TA - pushing b causes qnh setting to dissappear below vsi, although this should be happen when climbing through 10,000 as that is the TAOPPOSITE ON DESCENTGeoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

GeoffRegarding the B-key. What you are experiencing is one of those infamous MSFSisms. Though MS managed to create a world covering scenery, they still think 18000/FL180 is the only TL used worldwide. The B-key is a FS assignment and will always show local QNH below 18000 and will always show standard pressure above 18000.If you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can assign a hot-key in FSUIPC that will change to STD pressure anytime. I have it assigned to SHFT+B at the moment.But still. Where are the B and SHIFT+B keys in the real NG? ;-) I'm using the knobs most of the time!Cheers,

Hi Mats!Oh i c ;) said the blind man staring at a brick wall. What happens in a multiplayer lan game though? That's when you need the B button. Thanks for the reply :DBye,Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Yeah well...The B-key is working. It's not just working as we would think. It's working the MS FS way! And this is regardless of aircraft.Thank MS for their outstanding knowledge and wisdom! ;-)Cheers,