Sign in to follow this  
digitalmarks

Watch Out!

So there I was, waiting for the JetBlue Airbus to clear runway 13 at La Guardia. I don't know if it was the hypnotic spinning of Saabs engines in front of me, the light drizzle of rain on the windows, or that fact that I've done this same flight countless times before, but I was complacent.Being a real life PPL and a simmer of 20 years I had no worries.As the Saab began to roll, I knew it was only seconds until I was into the overcast. A short 30 minutes later I'd be beginning my descent into Burlington, VA, where 3 miles of visibility and more drizzle waited for me. "I can't wait to hand fly that approach" I thought to myself - realizing in real life I'll never be able to shoot an approach in weather like this going faster then 90 knots.As I taxi into position and hold it's on with the strobes and wing lights as I line up perfectly on centerline watching the Saab disapear into the clouds."Cleared for takeoff" utters the tower controller as I turn the engine start switches to "CONT", flip on the landing lights, and activate the autothrottle. Barelling down the runway everything looks good at 80 knots, 90 , 100, 110, 120, V1........then it happened. Engine one failed - right as I rotated.This wasn't planned!But this wasn't the same V1 engine failure bug i've experienced from time to time. In those cases both engines failed and the nosewheel would settle nicely back onto the ruwnay.Not this time. This was different.The airplane yawed hard left and kept flying! I instinctively kicked in some right rudder and pitched for V2. Get the gear up and get this airplane clean I thought to myself as I flipped the switch up. Once settled at 2,000 feet and all cleaned up (both me and the plane) I turned left downwind and attempted to restart. No luck. We'd have to land on one engine.In and out of the clouds and rain as I turned final still dancing on the right rudder, but easing up now as I reduce throttle and get the flaps and gear that I couldn't wait to get up minutes ago back down.Over the threshold and a smooth touchdown right back on centerline where I began.Maybe it's a bug.Well if it is, that service pack I installed later in the day will make short work of it.It doesn't matter though.Thanks to this experience and this amazing aircraft I'll remember this incident everytime I throttle up those engines. More importantly I'll be ready.Watch Out!/D

Be careful about your rotation rate on these birds. It should never be over 3 degrees per second and no more than 11 degrees until you are showing positive rate. If your tail strikes the ground MS will take it as a crash detection and engine failuers will happen. I suggest turning off crash detection to avoid this situation just in case it is the issue here.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

What was the OAT, Mr. "/D"? With all that moisture around, it may have been an icing problem? Did you have your NAI on (weather permitting)?Please refer to the 1001 postings about signing your real name, otherwise you may not get an answer next time ;-)Cheers.Ian.P.S. Have you downloaded the PMDG temporary/interim patch for the engine shutdown problem at V1?