Sign in to follow this  
Guest GeoffC

Sign your name

Guest GeoffC

Could somebody please clarify the situation in case I am doing something wrong. Last night I submitted a post ( Overstressed )and signed it with my name "Geoff". I was then asked by Randy if that is my real name, which it is, but only for the last 39 years. I see many posts complaining about people not signing names and just want to that check I'm not doing anything wrong.ThanksGeoff

Guest mruane

Hi GeoffAfter looking at your post it would be hard to imagine that you would be called anything else especially considering your user name. I think what might have caused me to ask such question was that there was nothing in front of your name (such as Cheers, Regards, Thanks etc) to indicate that the post was terminating. Depending on how you look at it, the solitary "Geoff", could have been taken as the start of a new sentance that was abnormally terminated. Who knows!I wouldn't be too concerned.

You have done nothing wrong Geoff, I was not sure if your real name was Geoff or not since I do not know you so thought I would ask. I meant no disrepect towards you. Many of the long time posters in this forum point out to new ones that they must sign their names to their posts, it's never anything personal but something we all adhere to. Welcome.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest Eternal

> Many of the long time posters in this forum point out to new>ones that they must sign their names to their posts, it's>never anything personal but something we all adhere to.>Welcome.Could someone explain to me why the letters in my name ("Patrick") are more valuable then the letters in a nickname ("Gulfstream", or whatever)? Noone here knows me, noone knows if "Patrick" is even my real name. I could put whatever I want after my message, so long as it isn't (god forbid) something that sounds like a nickname.It just seems so silly, and is the only discussion board on the internet that has this "rule". It seems more ridiculous when people won't respond to other people's posts because they didn't sign their names!!/rantPatrick(this may be my real name, or it may be a nickname... but noone will ever know, because it sounds like it COULD be my real name!)

Patrick,I personally think that it is a sign of respect to your fellow forum members. If you look at other forums where it is not required the majority of posts that are flaming someone for something insignificant are from those people that don't have enough guts to put their real name on their post. To me(this is just my feelings) if you put your real name there I can properly address you as say John instead of wizbanger05 or something silly like that. It is a matter of respecting your peers and as such in my mind is more for the forum members than for the PMDG moderators. Just my $0.02

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Guest GeoffC

Randy,Thanks for the prompt reply and clearing that one up. It's just that I know you're a regular poster here and if you where suggesting an error on my part I wanted to understand what it was.Again many thanks for the quick response. As it happens I have posted a few times before, however I wouldn't describe myself as a regular.Best wishesGeoff

"Could someone explain to me why the letters in my name ("Patrick") are more valuable then the letters in a nickname ("Gulfstream", or whatever)? It seems more ridiculous when people won't respond to other people's posts because they didn't sign their names!!"Dear "Two (sometimes three?)- engined Business Jet"....I think you'll find it's simply a case of human nature to want to respond to a fellow human being. If you call yourself "M%Xwt#4^*@", we don't even know if you're animal, mineral or vegetable, let alone human (Not that we have anything against non-humans, but at least we have some idea that they will understand what we are talking about).Also, if you call yourself something which doesn't sound like you come from an English-speaking country, then we might make the extra effort to simplify what we are saying, perhaps even using words/expressions from your own language.The internet is very impersonal, dimensionally-challenged form of communication... Adding our names is the least we can do to make it a more accommodating place for our fellow human beings. If you don't like your own name or something is stopping you using your own name (e.g. religious/political/race persecution), then by all means use a false name, but at least make it sound human. As you say, no one will be the wiser.Lastly, although it is the guys who run the AVSIM show which set the rules, they must get tired of reminding people of this common courtesy, so the volunteers (sensitive, kind-hearted souls they are) take it upon themselves to remind you. Note however, volunteers have no obligations to anyone and can set their own rules (above and beyond the standard), as inflexible/unreasonable as they may seem to other people. If you don't comply, you simply won't get an answer from them (their patience/latitude is finite)... I'm sure Randy will agree with me on this one, wherever he is). Regards.Ian