Sign in to follow this  
PilotGav

Forcing descent mode from Level Change

If, for whatever reason, I have had to descend in level change mode before the FMC has switched to descent mode, I've noticed the FMC stays in cruise.Is there a way to "force" the FMC to enter descent mode and take over the descent profile again after leaving VNAV and descending manually or with Level Change?Gavinhttp://www.interprom.com/gavhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpgSpellink doesn't count!!

Guest Zapper

Hi Gavin,Yes there is. As long as you have an EoD point set and of course reset MCP ALt to a lower altitude.On DES Page theer is a DES NOW option which will cause the aircraft to leave the CRZ Level and DES and 1000'/min until intercepting the VNAV PTH.May I ask why you would want to use LVL CHG to leave ur CRZ ALT? This would not be a normal real world operation. The only time you would do this is in a emergency descent or perhaps an immediate instruction from ATC.. but to be honest if teh altitude change was that urgent I would probably disconnect the AP or at least use CWS until teh problem was resolved.Hope this helps,

Guest bernknow

Hi,>May I ask why you would want to use LVL CHG to leave ur CRZ>ALT? This would not be a normal real world operation. Funny you should say this Brad - I have only just been looking through posts on a Real-world 737 tech forum where I was reading from several 737 pilots who say that they do indeed use LVL CHG to start the descent as a way of keeping speed under control and not risking the `overspeed dissconnect` that sometimes happens because the 737 is so "slippy" and some pilots will do anything to avoid the discomfort of having to use the air brakes.http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.ph...ghlight=descendRegardsBernard

Those real world pilots probably don't fully understand or don't trust VNAV PTH descent.The only thing discomforting about the speed brake is when a pilot doesn't use it when he should be using it. Floyd

Interesting link there Bernard.Tells us something about the level of discussion on this forum at times. And the level of this incredible sim! Fascinating! :-)Cheers,