Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chief Wiggum

Engine failure - takeoff

Guest leadZERO

How are you cutting the throttle? I thought that if you cut the throttle prior ot leaving the ground TO/GA mode disengaged and RTO auto-brakes deployed. When I did it in the 800 I just hit the fuel cut-off and on the seond try was able to get out fine. First time I tried it I ended up stalling into the ocean outside of KLAX; I think that was my fault though.

Guest Chief Wiggum

I cut the throttle using the CUTOFF lever.

I like this airplane and think its a great product.With that said I think there is a problem with the stalling speeds.The airplane is stalling just 2 knots below V2. This causes the AFDS to exit TO/GA mode and revert to MCP SPD and V2 in the MCP window gets 20 knots added to it. I used this setup. -700, KSNA RWY 19R, Temp 59C, TOGWT of 125,000 pounds, Takeoff N1 at TO 93.8%, Trim 5:50, Flaps 5, V1 =119 VR= 122 V2 = 131In this case V2 was 131 knots and the airplane stalled at 129 knots when it should have stalled at 116 knots instead of 129 knots.The stall indication should be activating at the top of the dashed red minimum speed bar on the airspeed display on the PFD which was 116 knots. Thats what its for.I also tested the -800 and found it stalled 10 knots below V2. Thats better than the -700 but still not right.V2 was 145 knots and the airplane stalled at 135 knots. In this case the airplane should have stalled at 120 knots as displayed by the top of the red dashed minimum speed bar on the PFD.Is this acceptable?Floyd

If the engine fails before you get to V2 speed, the flight director bars will command to V2. If you are between V2 and V2 + 20 when the engine fails, the flight director bars will command to your current speed. And if you are above V2 + 20, the flight director bars will command to V2 + 20.Don S.

Hi Floyd,I've essentially repeated your results. The top of the red checkerboard on the airspeed tape display actually notes where stall warning (stick shaker) will occur. The stall speed should be at least 3 knots or 3% lower than that speed. (However, I don't know if MSFS 2004 allows a distinction between stall warning and stall -- they may occur at the same speed in the game.)I found that stall warning occurred 10-20 knots above the top of the red checkerboard in every flap configuration on the -700 except flaps up. With flaps up, the stall warning appeared to occur at about the right speed. I didn't check any of the other airplane models (nor did I check to make sure that the speed tape display is correct).I noticed that attempting after taking off with an engine failure at KSNA under the conditions you used, I was unable to climb at the V2 speed.I tried Bernardo's scenario in the -800 and did not have any problems. The airplane climbed (albeit very slowly) at V2, the flight director command bars commanded to V2, and it stayed in TO/GA mode.I guess the moral of the story is that to be safe we'd better consider adding a few knots to the published speeds and stay well away from the top of the red checkerboard!Don S.

I agree, that theres no distinction between stall warning and stall, therefore I asumeing that the stall activation in FS2004 is a full stall.I would like to see PMDG 737 stall closer to the top of the red dashed minimum speed bar in all configurations. I don't think it's realistic to add a few knots to takeoff performance just to avoid a stall. I noticed even with a normal two engine takeoff the the -700 stalls just slightly below V2 too. Not realistic. A normal two engine takeoff has never been a problem because it accelcerates easily to V2 + 15. Its only the single engine climbs where the airplane is very slow to accelerate past V2 that we can see this problem happening. PMDG, the stall activation should occure at the top of the red dashed minimum speed bar in all models and configuratins.Floyd

Guest meyomyx

Guys,Are any of you repeating these RTO's using Flight Reset? If so you should be aware that the AP does NOT properly reset - leading to spurious CWS-P engagemen and subsequently MCP SPD being commanded at rotation.It may be nothing to do with this - but reading the threads, I supect it could be confusing the issue.The workaround is to ALWAYS pull the AP disconnect bar to reset the AP as part of your preflight.Cheers