Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Winds

Burp..pardon :-), no not that type of wind (or the other type!)Someone help me before I am taken for a brain transplant.If FS Meteo, for instance, states that winds aloft are 260@20 am I correct in thinking this means the winds are blowing FROM 260 degrees and not TO 260 degrees?Cheers

Guest Jimbofly

I don't know about FS Meteo, but the accepted standard with ATC whereby wind is described as 260@20 is that the wind is coming FROM 260 degrees.James

Thanks both, I now know I don't need that brain transplant :-) but the PSS Airbus sure does.I am currently flying in Madeira (LPMA) and just had a look at the ND display, my track is 220 and the wind vector arrow is pointing down to the left, about SW so I have something of a headwind.I checked the wind direction/speed and it is 280/64 and a/c heading is about 227 so not only is the wind vector showing 180 degrees out the a/p is correcting for this wind!I feel a post to the PSS support forum coming on :-), I don't recall this particular 'feature' appearing before over there.Rgds

Guest Fortress

Now I may need a brain transplant! But.. doesn't this sound correct Vulcan? If your heading is ~227 with wind 280, then wouldn't the ND display show an arrow towards the 8 o-clock position? Even though the wind is coming FROM 280, the arrow is pointing in the direction of wind travel NOT the direction from which the wind is coming. Sounds OK to me. Unless of course, I really do need that transplant...Cheers,Paul

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.haworth/Fortress.gifVoted Best Virtual Airline of 2002 and Best CEO of 2002 by participants in the BIG VA Vote organized by FSPILOT.comVANF "Best" New Virtual Airline Awardhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.haworth/saint_georgex1.gif

Of course you are correct Paul, so I *do* need that brain transplant and back to ground school :-lol I don't know why I got confused with that darn little arrow, all the time I have flown I have known what it indicated but tonight it just left me.In fact I ended up trying the DF737, 767PIC, and the PSS747 & 777 to try to figure out what was wrong and it was only after I turned in slew mode and saw the vector arrow moving that the light went back on.Sorry guys for posting a 'silly' question, especially when I am not a newbie.....on second thoughts :-), and I haven't been on anything stronger than water tonight :-lolThanks all.