Sign in to follow this  
Guest james320

Programming a circuit in FMC

Guest james320

I'd like to be able to program the FMC so I can fly a curcuit in the 737 following LNAV.For example, if I want to fly a circuit from London Stansted (EGSS) runway 23 and land back on runway 23, I currently program a departure from runway 23 and an arrival on RWY 23 with a extended centreline of something like 10 miles. I use HDG SEL to navigate myself around the circuit to RX-23. It's pretty awkward if you are hand-flying the circuit.Getting the the point at last... I do not seem to be able to use RX-23 to create a place/bearing/distance notional waypoint. Instead have to use EGSS to create them, which is quite fiddly and not very exact if you want a simple circuit pattern, such as turn left90deg soon after t/o, teurn left 90deg again to fly downwind 5 miles from runway, then turn left 90 deg towards RX-23.Any ideas??

James,Just one thought that comes to mind. If you just need a simple race track you don't need any exact waypoints. EGSS will work fine. As long as RX-23 is positioned at the extended centerline you'll be home free!TGIF,

I'd guess you would need to make your own fixes before you takeoff, if you want to fly using LNAV. Usually each airport has lots of fixes around it to help you navigate (charts), or you can make your own fixes basically whereever you like (check manual how to).Why is it awkward flying hdg sel? After take off 90 degrees left/right, you will see runway on the ND, then again 90 degrees. There's usually a VOR on the airport, just tune it, see when you're about 12nm out, then start the base leg turn from the downwind leg. Tune ILS and land.

Hi there.I would agree with Word Not Allowed, HDG SEL seems to be a good option. But if you insist on using LNAV you have some options. To visualize Word Not Allowed's suggestion, here how it's look lik when using existing waypoints:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/96506.jpgYou can also make your custom waypoints using the BKY VOR as reference:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/96508.jpgHere I have inserted as follows:BKY160/9.5BKY180/4.5BKY063/12BKY085/15BKY102/11EGSS.As shown below you can use the FIX page as an aid for entering your own wp's.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/96509.jpg