Sign in to follow this  
Guest pranavkumarz

APU | No Start

Guest pranavkumarz

I can't for the life of me get the APU to start. I'm going my the checklist:Batt -ONAir Conditioninng - OFF (BTW on 800/900 we flip the switches to the extreme left to turn the air con off right?Electric Hyd Pumps OFFand then:I flick the APU start switch, the APU gen switch, APU bleeds on and the Isolation valves....nothing happens..Can someone take me through this procedure?Thanks indeed.-Pranav

Guest nattydread

Maybe you need more juice. Try connecting to Ground Power, wait a while for it to spool up. If it dont start, check to make sure there isnt a maintenace or other check light for the APU. Wait a few minutes to let it cool down before re-start. These are just guess though...without a more detail systems manual its hard to say. Check and make sure the parking brake is set, throttles are at idle and the plane is pretty much setup for a 1st start of the day...once agian all guesses.

Guest captbulldog 2

Did you wait 30sec?

This is quite puzzling really.It dosen't matter when you start the APU. If the battery switch is ON, the APU bleed switch is open, the APU WILL start. It takes a few seconds for power to be available while it spools up and you can watch it's progress by watching the APU meter increase.When it has reached it's generating potential your blue lights will come on and then all thats needed is to click the two switches.Don't forget to then alter your power switch to the APU position! Most times if at the ramp you will get an option for 'Ground Power', if you do, you can use that supply but again, make sure you have the switch pointing to 'Ground Power'.I hope this answers your question?All the best,Dave.'Three greens and soft landings'

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest pranavkumarz

Ok, maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order. So going by all your posts shall I now do the following (after I'm through with the cockpit acceptance checklist):Batt ONApu start switch ONAPU Bleed ONThen I wait for 30 secs for the needle to riseApu Gen ONBatt rotary swith to Aux Bat and Apu Gen?Is that how it's done?Cheers,-Pranav

Do you have fuel to the APU? Make sure that the AFT Number 1 Fuel Pump is on. Then hit the APU start switch, wait the EGT gaage to climb and drop to 300-400 degrees, when the APU generator lights come on, I turn on the APU Bleed, then turn on the APU generators and set the AC Voltmeter Selector switch to APU.Hope this helpsBob

>>Ok, maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order. So going by all>your posts shall I now do the following (after I'm through>with the cockpit acceptance checklist):>>Batt ON>Apu start switch ON>APU Bleed ON>Then I wait for 30 secs for the needle to rise>Apu Gen ON>Batt rotary swith to Aux Bat and Apu Gen?>>Is that how it's done?>>Cheers,>>-Pranav>ABSOLUTELYAll the best,Dave.'Three greens and soft landings'

Dave Taylor gb.png