Sign in to follow this  
Guest CHRISH

PMDG autopilot disengage no Speed control

Guest CHRISH

I have just flown the superb PMDG 737-900 in 20 mile visibility in cloudy weather from EGCC to EHAM using the FMC and autopliot engaged. As I approached EHAM at 10 miles to go to Runway 01R, I disengaged the autoplitot and Flight Director for a manual landing. However after disenaging the autopilot I was unabke to slow the aircraft down at all, either manually with the throttle levers or by slowing the speed on the MCP (which I had disconnected)Can anybody kindly tell me what I have done wrong, as I really wanted to land manually, but I just couldnt slow thw a/c down at all, it just refused to go below 250 knots.Best Wishes,Chris

Chris,we do need more information from you to be able to help.What was your altitude when trying to decelerate? Rate of descent? Wind? Aircraft's configuration? Weight? What were you doing in what order?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest CHRISH

Thnaks Markus,250 Knots, 3,500' ASL, Zero Wind, Vis 10 Miles. Best Wishes,Chris

So when you are 10 miles out I assume you are more or less in a level flight to be able to capture the GS from below. Then the airplane should decelerate just fine with throttles at idle thrust. If you are above the GS at that point in the approach and still descending like mad then that would require a better approach planning to reach the capture altitude earlier.Keep in mind that the dash 900 is the most difficult plane to slow down of all four.Anyway, in real life ILS capture is normally flown at speeds ranging from 180kts up to 230kts (told by ATC). And you'd have plenty of time on level flight (that enables ATC to do vertical separation) where you could reduce speed.Now if you do not fly with ATC and just fly your STAR and approach those level flights would be much shorter or missing completely. Then you have to plan your descent very carefully to end up on the ILS with the right speed and altitude. It does take some practice as the PMDG 737 is modelled extremely well in that regard. Maybe you should practice using the 737-800 as it is easier to slow down.If you then still have problems slowing down you should provide us with some screenshots of your approach so we can see how you fly the approach.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest CHRISH

Many thanks Markus, I maybe confusing the issue for you. The point is I cannot slow the aircraft down, I have flown several flights where I have intercepted the glide slope but have been unable to slow the aircraft (B737-900) down enough to allow it to land. As a result I have had to go around. interstingly when I have done this and disconnecetd the flight director and autopliots, I am unable to slow the aircraft at all either using the Throttle manually or by using the speed selector in the MCP.The aircraft will not slow down. I am a vertan of the B767 and never had this problem with the PIC B737 or the Phoenix B744.Best Wishes,Chris

Well that certainly is strang Chris... If you do the approach correctly you will end up on the ILS with the first stages of flaps and ready to drop the landing gear, and THAT should slow down the airplane in any case.There is no flight model bug in the 737-900, so there must be something you are doing wrong. Maybe you could provide some screenshots of one of these approaches?Regards, Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest greggs

Did you disengage the autothrottle vs. the autopilot?GreggS