Sign in to follow this  
Guest volkerts

Autopilot problem

Guest volkerts

Hi,I experienced a very strange problem with my 737 NG 800/900 package. When using the flight director all modes are working fine. But as soon as I turn on the autopilot the aircraft starts rapidly rolling to the left and pitching down in a steep descent. No manual control input could override this, I had to turn off the autopilot to 'save my life' :-)Exactly the same occurs when engaging CWS. It also doesn't matter if I turn on autopilot A or B. This problem occured out of nothing, I didn't make any changes to the installation. It also occured on several locations, using different aircraft and different flight director-modes. Does anyone know how this could happen and -especially- what to do about it?Many thanks,Niels

Well, one question is, what do you have set in your MCP? ALT and HDG? If that's fine, be sure you set up the FMC right.If both are set up right, then remove PMDG and reinstall everything with the latest patches.

Do you understand how CWS works? If you are touching the controls at anytime you engage a CMD then you are reverting to CWS, touch controls with A/P is in CMD = "I have the aircraft". Easy way to know is to post a screenshot of your PFD at the moment this happens and NEVER touch the controls in CMD.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Randy:Is the NG's CMD really supposed to be THAT sensitive? I have some "free play" with CMD in my MS FFB2 stick. As long as I don't yank the stick, if I push or pull gently some way, whether deliberately or inadvertently, I don't get kicked into CWS. Is this luck or what?Jonathan

It's not suppose to be, this is a true sim limitation. On the real aircraft it certainly takes more than a *touch* to revert to CWS modes butt really there is no way for PMDG or anyone else to simulate "strenth" on a controller. But not touching the control colume in real life while A/P is in command is correct. There is no reason to handle the controls unless you want control so PMDG have done good here. Force feed back has been a real issue, of course it's all in the way one looks at it. I don't use it so no problems there. If you can get away with using it without reversion then I say great ;-) [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest volkerts

Thanks for all your reply's, but I think I already know what was wrong, although it is still very strange.I did actually some test-flying with my yoke and pedals, but they don't work well (gameport with WinXP - it just doesn't work well) and I actually DID disconnect the joystick in the flightsim-menu. But that was probably not enough, because the problem I described earlier occured. Only when I removed my joystick/yoke from the Windows control panel the problem dissapeared. I didn't think of my joystick in the first pleace, because normally when you disconnect it in flightsim it is disconnected, isn't it?Well, the problem seems to be fixed, so I'm not complaining (although my yoke still doesn't work :-( )Thanks again!Niels