Sign in to follow this  
Guest FattyBear

Are GDI+ gauges FPS killers?

Guest FattyBear

I ask this because it seems like add-ons that use a lot of GDI+ (I can't think of any others that use them as much as the PMDG 737) have the worst FPS on my system. 2D/VC FPS is worse when I turn the battery on and the displays come alive. It is also worse when I use the zoom panel. Now, this isn't a new discovery for me because I've been using PMDG's 737 since it first came out and have always had bad FPS with it, but because I love it so much I have kept flying with it. The point of this post is that I am hoping in the future gauges will be less hardware intensive. I don't really know what the background GDI+ is, but I'm concerned that it won't evolve and that it will always be a bottleneck for some users with lower end machines. I know PMDG is working to increase FPS in the Queen, so I am very pleased with that. p.s heres my system- I know this is why I get bad FPS, but with most add-ons (with the exception of high end hardware intensive airliners) I can get 22-24 FPS which is good enough. Dell Inspiron 82002.0 ghz1 gig RAM40 gig 5400 RPM harddriveATI 9000 Mobility

Guest TrafficTraffic

Yes, they can be hard on frame rates. Have you tried to adjust the gauge refresh rate in PMDG's options?Is that a Pentium 4 or a Pentium-M? I can get 30fps most of the time on a P-M 1.4 ATI 7500 no AA, but P-M is faster than P-4 at the same clock rate.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Alex-GDI+ is not the bottleneck you fear. In fact, it dramatically improves the quality and efficiency of the displays above other formats available.I think the slowdown in your FPS might be the Mobility 9000... I have a laptop with an older Rage Mobility chipset card- and it is horrible for graphically intensive programs such as our NG....You will likely have slightly better performance with the 747-400 than you do with the NG as a result of efficiencies that we have picked up from other areas of the simulation.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest chris_kirk

"You will likely have slightly better performance with the 747-400 than you do with the NG as a result of efficiencies that we have picked up from other areas of the simulation."Excellent! All we need now is the 747-400!! :+ Chris Kirk (not being pushy, just impatient!)

Guest FattyBear

>Alex->>GDI+ is not the bottleneck you fear. In fact, it dramatically>improves the quality and efficiency of the displays above>other formats available.>>I think the slowdown in your FPS might be the Mobility 9000...> I have a laptop with an older Rage Mobility chipset card- and>it is horrible for graphically intensive programs such as our>NG....>>You will likely have slightly better performance with the>747-400 than you do with the NG as a result of efficiencies>that we have picked up from other areas of the simulation.>>I know the bottleneck is my system itself, but being a poor college flight student I can't afford to get a new computer. I'm glad to hear that you're working on improving performance with the 747. Even though it probably won't run great on my system, I will definately have to buy it :)