Sign in to follow this  
StevenHPerry

LDA/PRM in 737NG?

Simultaneous Close Parallel approaches have finally come to Cleveland Hopkins (12 May 05 / 05132 charts) and I'm wondering if there are any special procedures as far as the 737NG goes when flying an ILS/PRM or LDA/PRM? Primarily, should the RA's be turned off prior to intercepting the final approach course?Steve Perry

Steve Perry

PMDG Beta Team

Steve,Funny, but I just went trough a tutorial regarding ILS/PRM and LDA/PRM (PRM = Precision Radar Monitoring).If you by RA mean Radio Altimeter I would say you should set your RA to the DH on the published ILS/PRM chart. If you mean the Resolution Advisories on TCAS you don't need to turn it off but you shold know that a TCAS vertical RA overrides PRM CONTROLLER vertical advisory. Also be sure to tune your COM2 radio to monitorPRM CONTROLLER frequency and make sure you have COM2 as RX only. COM1 tuned to TWR as usual. In TX/RX mode.Be vigilant for "BREAK OUT" directions from the PRM CONTROLLER. The controller will issue a turn (expect heading away from the NTZ, Non Transgression Zone, between the runways) and an altitude change (expect a climb order). All "BREAK OUT" orders are to be hand flown.Be sure you have the proper ILS/PRM training before accepting a PRM approach. http://www.faa.gov/AVR/AFS/PRMtraining/Would be neat to see this implemented on VATSIM.Hope it helps,

Mats Johansson
PMDG Flight Test Dept
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

| Asus Z270-A | Intel i5-7600K @ 4.8 GHz OC/H2O | nVidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB OC/O2|

Thanks for the link! I'm now PRM certified. I thought for sure it'd be a class I had to pay for.I'm not a big TCAS guru but I would have thought the SOIA approach would trigger a RA every time. Converging traffic both descending on approximately the same glidepaths? Oh well.Steve Perry

Steve Perry

PMDG Beta Team

Steve,Congrats! :-)Remember that TCASII RA/TA will revert to TA ONLY below 1500 feet. Or is it 1000 feet AGL? Will certainly help for those converging SOIA approaches.Cheers,

Mats Johansson
PMDG Flight Test Dept
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

| Asus Z270-A | Intel i5-7600K @ 4.8 GHz OC/H2O | nVidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB OC/O2|