Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Volunteer Here

Have you ever wanted to fly around the world, but never had the time? Here's your opportunity to take part in a team effort.RULESOn 15 July 2002 (UTC), one intrepid volunteer starts the RTW challenge departing Heathrow in Real World Weather. Its up to them which way they go, however they must complete a flight of between around 1 and 2 1/2 hour duration. As soon as the leg is completed, they must post a message (with 1 screen shot - no more) on this thread and tell us exactly which Airport (inc. ICAO code) they finished at (N.B. each leg must finish on a runway).PICKING UP THE BATONAnyone wishing to take up the next leg, must reply to that "location post" simply stating that they "have the baton" (in disputes it is the first volunteer that posted who is chosen) and the challenge continues. Where a pilot has failed to post his PIREP and screenshot within the 3 hour time period since first accepting the baton, any pilot may lay claim :-eek to the baton at the departure airport. The option to take possession of the baton must be exercised before the missing PIREP has been posted, for the claim to be valid. In such circumstances, any subsequent location report posted with regard to the original flight, is deemed null and void. You may not "pick up the baton" in advance.THE THREE STRIKE RULEFail to:A. Deliver a single screen shotB. Go in a sensible direction (as judged by the flaming community although the challenge still continues from where you finished)C. Use real weatherD. Travel a distance that is in keeping with the aircraft chosen and weather (i.e. No cheating the clock/ slewing or playing with the .AIR file)E. Or attempt to steer the flight whilst not in possession of the batonon three occasions in total and you're disqualified for the rest of the event.AIRCRAFTOnly the following aircraft (by any developer) may be used for this challenge:Turboprops (Single or Multi)Props (Single or Multi)HelicoptersBalloons :-lolNAVIGATION/ TIME OF DAYUse whatever devices you wish, and at whichever Time of Day you choose :(FINALLY.......Good luck all, this is our opportunity to prove that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" :-coolhttp://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...64c5d480adb.jpgP.S. What's the aim? To travel around the globe at some point landing in San Diego and to get back to Heathrow as fast as we can.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the baton!Nice, I followed this RTW on the other forum site and thought, why not here at AVSIM? :)I take off at Heathrow now...ckfly

Welcome to the team CK, its nice to see the RTW happening over here. Ladies and Gentlemen, this challenge has just taken 15 days to complete and over 290 posts on "the other side." We found it useful to have 2 mapmakers and an umpire, may I suggest that you select a respected "umpire" from amongst yourselves to ensure fair play according to the rulesEnjoy and good luck ;-) http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...64c5d480adb.jpgaviator@thehold.freeserve.co.ukP.S. I hope that you get the same satisfaction from completing this epic adventure that we already have.

Thanks tornadowilkes!Here's my report: I took off in my trusty Grumman HU-16 at 19:07 GMT heading southwest (!) over the channel. Weather was fine, clear sky, light wind all the way. Had not enough time for flight planning, so I flew VFR (guided by GPS) at about 3000 feet and 195 KIAS. I spotted Guernsey on the left over the channel, but was too far away for a nice screenshot. Also it was getting darker now, I could see the first stars in the clear sky... In the very last rays from the sun (20:20 GMT) I made a slightly rough landing at LFRB Brest Guipavas Airport, France.Screenshot: "Leaving England"BTW, this bird has a gear, too!This was fun!ckfly :)

CKFly, nice screenshot!!I have the baton. Will depart LFRB in my trusty Archer II.--Tony

Greetings from Rochefort, France.Skies were clear and winds were light (4 mph) when I left LFRB. I flew along the coastline to the southeast. Saw some nice clouds along the way (visually beautiful thanks to FS Sky World!!). Winds ranged between 5 and 15 coming at me from about 100 degrees. So, without any more ado, the details.Flight Time: 2:01Distance travelled: 208nmFuel Used: er...I forgot to check this!!! d'oh!Arrived: LFDN (St. Agnant - Rochefort, France)Notes: Would the next baton-carrier take a look at the ground scenery for this airport and confirm what I saw? Out on the field between the runway and the ramps/parking was what looked like a misplaced runway texture... for a HUGE runway (like you'd see at a large airport). It was definitely out of place, was very visible from a few miles out, and didn't disappear. I didn't include it in my screenshot because I couldn't get a good angle on both it and my plane at the same time...and I can only post 1 screenshot here, per the rules.Having only flown in Europe once before in FS2002, I didn't notice that the fuel stations are blue! I included it in my screenshot. :)Suggestion: When you post a Location Post, please label it as such, and make it a reply to the initial message, not the last message posted. This will make the thread a lot easier to follow!Credits:Weather by: FSMeteoClouds by: FS Sky WorldPlane: Dreamfleet Archer IIPaint: me (done for the same hallenge held on Flightsim.com)--Tony

Took off from rochefort and no i did not notice any problems with the textures. only weather i encountered was overcast over the Pyranees i was aiming for Beskra, Algeria but fuel and time didnt allow me to make it so i settled for Algeiers or shoudl i say EL DJAZAIR or DAAG sorry i couldnt give more details but i need to sleep!Time: 2:32 minFuel 415 galDeparted 6:57am localArrived 9:29am localits at DAAG i graciosuly hand off the batonBeech 1900 by the way

Well guys holding this baton is getting my palms sweaty some needs to pick it up!

This is really cool! :-kewlOK, I have the baton. Where to go?? :-hmmmSee u soon!Jeff

Left DAAG on the north coast at the tail end of dusk, going by UTC.Winds out of the northeast, Runway 5 departure.Loaded the Convair 580 with a 60% fuel load, so I hoped it would get me there, and not be too much of a load to land on. I never fly props...turned out to be about 3500 lbs burn with 260 knot cruise. The general heading was 150, I thought about taking it more south but really wanted to see a coast when I landed...Flight plan took me over DAUB (Biskra), DTTZ (Nefta) to Tripoli, Libya - HLLT. Runway 09 arrival, mild winds from 050.Went looking for info on the 580 and found this: http://www-k12.atmos.washington.edu/~debbi...V580photos.htmlJeff

I have the baton! Leaving HLLT ---I'm hoping I can get off the ground before the Libyans realize I'm an American and start shooting...--Tony

The Libyan police wouldn't let me get near my plane, so it looks like I'm grounded for a while.Therefore, the Baton is still at HLLT.(actually, something pretty screwey is going on with Flight Sim for me tonight. Last night I noticed a lot of left-leaning in the plane (Archer II) despite identical settings to what I usually use. Full rudder deflection to the right wouldn't turn the wheel. Have a lot of troubleshooting to do to figure out what the heck is wrong, so I surrender the baton for someone else's use).--Tony

ok... to keep the baton moving, I'll take the Baton...."I wait at the fence to the pound, out of site in a bush, all evening... but the police continue to guard the plane. At sundown, I wonder what I'm going to do when I see three policemen heading for the gate to the compound area. It looks like they're changing the guard!! They talk a while, smoke a cigarette and a shout comes from a nearby building."I look over and see Jeff & Tony talking to a policeman... they have papers in their hands and are talking irately. The whole party, including the current watch, go inside, leaving the gate to the compound OPEN!!! There are two US planes here! A Convair 850 and a Piper Cheyenne. I decide to take the Piper, because I need to startup and get out as quickly as possible, before the guard returns or hear me & chase me."I slip into the compound, into the plane and start her up... to my amazement, it's fuelled and ready to go... time to liberate the Piper!!! Somehow I need to get airborne and away... so I plan a low level flight under radar, into the desert and see what the hell I'm gonna do once I'm clear.................."

Hilarious!I really should apologize for landing us in Libya...I'm Canadian though, (the Convair was an RCAF repaint), and I don't know if we're OK there... Makes for some great fiction though!Maybe someone can fill me in on current Libya-Canada relations so I know whether I can get out or not... :-bluegrabJeff

.........So I jump into the Piper Cheyenne and the guards come out... they've not seen me, but now I'm stuck! So I sit... and I sit......until 04:15!!! I pop my head up and the gaurds are gone! It's time to go! I start the engines as quickly as I can, taxi like a madman, desperately trying to find a runway and takeoff... I'm away!!I make a safe take-off and when all is steady, I swoop down as low as I dare. I head for the coast... a cunning plan... I pop up into radar again and then drop down underneath... the authorities now think I'm heading for the Med and I make a sharp 90 to the left and head for the Tunisian border. That should buy me some time.As low as I can and as fast as I can I travel at 270' full-whack and I reach the border in 15-20mins. I relax, climb to 3000 and head for Remada and then on to El Borma. Here I turn South and Travel Into Algeria on the safe side of the border with Libya... all the way down to In Amenas.I'm travelling straight into the Sahara! As the Sun rises, so does the heat... I estimate 40C+ today!! There are dried-up lakes and rivers here and few Navaids! My next waypoint is Illizi, across a huge plateau. I run from flat, wide open desert into mountains and then up onto the plateau.. where it becomes barren and lifeless again.From Illizi I turn towards my destination of Tiska airport at Djanet, Algeria (Oasis and site of one of many French Foreign Legion forts). 127 miles of hard, mountain and desert terrain. This is one of the most remote places I've ever flown and it's quite exhilerating... if a little risky!! But, then again, I did just steal a plane from a large, Libyan Airport!!The terrain is deceptive here... there are wide plateau areas, that climb very gradually and I have to be aware that my height AGL is dropping... but I'm getting Sunblind and the horizon and mountaintops are shimmering. Finally, I find Tiska! (The airports are well camouflaged on this landscape) and I drop down for the approach, get my clearance and make a good landing on a long runway. I'm lucky... I've been in contact with Carthage Centre (Tunisia). the time is roughly 06:45All I have to do now is pay my way into Algeria... this could take some time...........................Total distance: 685 milesTime taken: 2.5 hoursFuel Burned: 400 gallons (about 1100lbs? not sure)I'm off now to check-out the cave paintings at Tassili N'Ajjer (8000 years old!!) A refreshing cup of Mint tea around the camp fire tongiht. I hand over the baton at DAAJ (Tiska, Algeria). The next leg will be pivotal, I expect... West to the Atlantic Coast... or maybe South-East into Deep Africa and the Congo... or maybe East to The Aswan Dam and the Nile!Cheers all and Goodnight...Djanet photos: http://www.aroundtheworlds.com/english/sahara-e.htmDjanet Forts: http://www.manntaylor.com/forts.htmlTravel Info: http://i-cias.com/m.s/algeria/zz_djn.htmTravel Info: http://www.travel-guide.com/data/dza/dza140.asp (look half way down and read from "Hoggar Mountains" to read about the region I flew over).

I'l pick up the baton now and depart out of DAAJL Wiley

Emergencypants (love the name, by the way),Great shot! Must have been a challenge to keep a plane as fast as the Cheyenne that close to the rising dunes!Interested to see where Mr. Wiley takes us next!--Tony

Landed at DATM. Much equipment trouble prior to departure at DAAJ.Cruise altitude was 29,000 and Grd speed varied from 260 to 300 knots. Weather was just some high scatterd cirrus, to occasionally clear. Winds mostly light. Be prepared to depart off gravel runway. Time of arrival at DATM is: 01:47 EDT. o6:47 a.m. local.Screenshot. Coming soon in seperate upload. Departed DAAJ at 04:18 Local. Landed at DATM at 06:47 local. Screen shot hopefully here.

Hi Lowell! Good PIREP! What city was it that you landed in? I don't think you get a Strike against you for posting more than one screenshot (which is against the rules), because it looks like there were problems with the upload process.I am inclined to ask what plane you were flying, though. All those nice round engine gauges make it look quite a lot like a jet, but according to the rules, only props (of any sort, including the big honkin' ones) and balloons are allowed in the flight.Please let us know, so we know whether or not the baton is truly at DATM, or if it's back at DAAJ, the airport you left from!--Tony

Hi all,Looks like Lowell was flying the Baron...I'm gonna grab the baton from DATM. It might be too far, but Im gonna try to make it to The Canary Islands. I've always wanted to see them. It could make it interesting for who ever flys across the pond, it's a long ways. I'm gonna jump into my Cessna 421C and prepare for a short/soft field take-off out of Bordj Mokhtar. It might be a little over 4 hrs, depending on winds so hang tight.BTW, I have mapped our progress with FSNavigator and will upload screenshots as this continues, but I don't know how to upload them? Do I add just like an email attatchment in hotmail?-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Good luck to the Canaries, Michael.Yeah... you can add attachments by browing to them, just like in Hotmail.Si.

Whew, I made it... Just a little longer than I was hoping for. I really pushed the range of the Cessna 421C to its limits. I made it to Los Rodeos, Canary Islands (GCXO) with 30 minutes on board.I departed DATM at 0800 UTC and arrived GCXO at 1350 UTC. I walked out to the 421C did my pre-flight, read through the manual to brush up on my short field runway procedures and was ready to go. It was night time locally so I filed an IFR flight plan and climbed in my 421 up to FL240. The sky was scattered at around FL180. Unfortunately, I had a 53 Knot Headwind right on my nose. After I burned off some fuel I thought I would try to climb up to FL280, but the wind about 74 Knots there. I decided to descend down to FL220 and stayed there for the remainder of the flight. I didn't pass one airport for over 2 hrs. As a matter of fact, I was only handed off maybe 3 times untill I got back down to Canary Approach.As I was crossing to the south of Gran Canaria Island, ATC cleared me for my intial descent. Looked up to the north to see the steep cliffs dropping off into crystal blue waters. Sure is beautiful here.ATC kept me pretty high through the descent so I could avoid the volcano that makes up most of Tenerife Island as I flew my downwind leg to Runway 12 at Los Rodeos. Cleared to land, dropped the gear and made a textbook landing. Sure felt good to get out of the plane and stretch my legs. What a great flight.Some Links about The Canary Islands-http://www.red2000.com/spain/canarias/tenerife/index.htmlhttp://www.airdisaster.com/special-pa1736.shtmlWhos Next?-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)