Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevesj

Some real 737 questions / comparisons

Guest stevesj

HiI have a few questions here, perhaps they will stop some of you from biting your finger nails whilst waiting for the B747 ;-)1 - (Autoland)I can't find a rollout guidance mode in the PMDG does the real B737 have rollout guidance ? - and what affect does this have on disengageing the A/P on landing as I presume if it does have rollout guidance A/P would stay on to drive this mode ? if it does not should the A/P be manually disengaged on touchdown ?2 - The throttle setting mode knob does not seem to have a v2 setting why is this ?3 - (Takeoff) what is the difference between using the TO/GA switch (mcp screw in PMDG's case)to hitting N1 with TO mode annunciated ?4 - Do the toe brakes (upon landing) disengage the autobrakes ?5 - Do MCP lights go out in some modes on the real 737 even though the mode is still active ? is this only on the 737 ?MTIA for any info, I will be reading the replies with interest.Steve

These only go as far as I know (and I might be wrong):1. Not rollout guidance equipment is available for the 737. The Autopilot should be manually disengaged on touchdown (if you are doing a CATIII autoland. If not, you have to disengage the AP at you DA/MDA)2. Maybe the FD calculates the right climb angle automatically, depending on Weight and V1? I could not find anything in the manual. And the VREF position always gives me an "invalid entry" warning3. Erm? How did you set that mode?4. Yes.5. Yes, certain MCP lights go out (APP mode light, for example). But I don't know if this is limited to the 737 series only.

>Hi>>I have a few questions here, perhaps they will stop some of>you from biting your finger nails whilst waiting for the B747>;-)>>1 - (Autoland)I can't find a rollout guidance mode in the PMDG>does the real B737 have rollout guidance ? - and what affect>does this have on disengageing the A/P on landing as I presume>if it does have rollout guidance A/P would stay on to drive>this mode ? if it does not should the A/P be manually>disengaged on touchdown ?Rollout is an option on the 73NG but is not modeled on the PMDG. The AP's have to be manually disconnected.>>2 - The throttle setting mode knob does not seem to have a v2>setting why is this ?>V2 is set via the MCP speed selector. When set, the airspeed cursor and V2+15 bug move to the correct speeds.>3 - (Takeoff) what is the difference between using the TO/GA>switch (mcp screw in PMDG's case)to hitting N1 with TO mode>annunciated ?System limitations and procedures. The normal procedure is to use TO/GA for takeoff. N1 is only for AFDS compatable pitch modes and not for takeoff. >>4 - Do the toe brakes (upon landing) disengage the autobrakes>?After Auto Braking has begun, the following will disarm the system.

Guest stevesj

Hi JohnThanks for your kind reply, I hope others are also finding this level of technical discussion interesting. Although answers often raise more questions..Is the correct (takeoff) procedure to put the SPD window at v2 or v2+15, I have heard both mentioned in the past ?. Either way I don't understand the logic behind this. I presume the a/c would not pass this speed ?, surely you want to get away from low speeds as you have less stall risk and less fuel burn if you are flaps up quicker.I hope this makes sense..On the autobrake question are we saying that manually deploying the spoilers will disengage the autobraking? do the spoilers deploy and brakes stay engaged if reverse thrust is engaged perhaps ?Another two new ones here1) I dont see a FPA switch (flight path angle) is this not available on B737, therefore the only way to fly an angle without VNAV is v/s ?2) I also don't see a TRK SEL is this available in the real thing ? either way how do we hold a TRK in a crosswind condition if we are not using LNAV for whatever reason.Kind regardsSteve

>Hi John>>Thanks for your kind reply, I hope others are also finding>this level of technical discussion interesting. Although>answers often raise more questions..>>Is the correct (takeoff) procedure to put the SPD window at v2>or v2+15, I have heard both mentioned in the past ?. Either>way I don't understand the logic behind this. I presume the>a/c would not pass this speed ?, surely you want to get away>from low speeds as you have less stall risk and less fuel burn>if you are flaps up quicker.V2 is set on the MCP. As soon as you are airborne, it automatically sets V2+15. You maintain this speed until acceleration height and throughout any noise abatement procedure.>>I hope this makes sense..>>On the autobrake question are we saying that manually>deploying the spoilers will disengage the autobraking? do the>spoilers deploy and brakes stay engaged if reverse thrust is>engaged perhaps ?You understand it backwards. 'Stowing' the speedbrakes will inhibit auto-brakes.>>Another two new ones here>>1) I dont see a FPA switch (flight path angle) is this not>available on B737, therefore the only way to fly an angle>without VNAV is v/s ?>Mixing Airbus with Boeing ;) . FPA is an Airbus term and mode. With Boeing you have VNAV, V/S or LVL CHG so, no, you can't fly an angle on descent.>2) I also don't see a TRK SEL is this available in the real>thing ? either way how do we hold a TRK in a crosswind>condition if we are not using LNAV for whatever reason.>There is a Track Pointer that shows current track. All one has to do is steer in HDG SEL or manually to match up the Track Pointer with the Heading Pointer.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg