Sign in to follow this  
Guest robhowe

autospoilers

Guest robhowe

HiSometimes my autospoilers don't extend on touchdown, when landing with both autopilots engaged, in CMD/FLARE mode. I suspect this might be because my throttles aren't exactly at idle, as the z axis on my joystick (assigned to thrust levers) is a little dodgy. Could this be the right explanation, or am I barking up the wrong tree?Thanks

Rob,you might want to do a search on this topic since it has been covered in a number of threads already.Anyway, yes when your throttles are not fully at idle the spoilers will not deploy. I guess you already have tried calibrating the lever with Windows Control Panel. What you could try is fine tune the throttle axis using a registered version of FSUIPC. There it is easy to define an idle point on the axis.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest robhowe

Thanks for the reply, Markus. I spent a fascinating couple of hours last night reading through the previous discussions re. autospoilers. Particularly interesting were the expert comments of Messrs Smith and Randazzo. Acting on their posted advice, I flew several circuits at Stansted in the PMDG 739 today and the spoilers behaved fine, provided my throttles were at idle on touchdown (F1 to make sure).One interesting thing I noticed: on a dual channel autoland, MCP speed mode cancels automatically at 50'RA, which is useful as it saves having to cancel it manually. Another interesting thing was that if I made a pig's ear of the approach and failed to engage the second a/p, the 739 auto-flared on a single channel landing. Does a real 739 do that?Thanks

Rob,I believe the autospoilers deploy when you have selected 'autobraking' when the wheels touchdown, and lower automatically next time you apply throttle. Least that's what happens on mine.Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest robhowe

Interesting, Dave. Perhaps the 739 sim is behaving in different ways for different users, maybe depending on the version they downloaded.I tried as many combinations as I could during today's circuits. I tried leaving autobrake unselected; spoilers behaved same regardless of autobrake setting. I also tried not arming the spoilers as a previous poster had suggested they would autodeploy if not armed. This proved not to be the case for me. If not armed, they didn't deploy. If armed, they did, subject to conditions below...It took a long time to fly lots of circuits, changing only one variable at a time, but my conclusions are that the spoilers on the 739 will autodeploy on touchdown provided throttles are **definitely** at idle, MCP speed mode is delected*, and spoilers are armed.*As I mentioned, it seems that MCP speed auto-deselects at 50'RA on the 739.