Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dimon1971

Long-range problems.

Guest Dimon1971

Hello to everyone.Yesterday I failed to finish KORD-VHHH with my second attempt due to the fuel shortage. Below, I will provide some useful info about my flight and I'd appreciate your comments about this and suggestion how to properly fly long-hauls.CONFIG: 3-classPAX: 76,680lbs (100%)CARGO: 10,500 (3 green blocks out of 30)ZFW: 481,268FOB: 382,336 - 100% (calculated via Fuel Planner as 362,000)Initial attitude: FL310Step Climb (to each 2000ft)Final Attitude FL390SPEED MODE: LRCCOST INDEX: 40Comments:I use ASV and headwinds in Alaska area are approximately 70 kts, which is bad for cruising/fuel performance. Furthermore, current PMDG 747 CDU configuration doesn't allow to enter winds into RTE page (like LDS767 FMC does) which makes the whole flight unpredictable from viewpoint of fuel planning. Anyway, I kindly appreciate your suggestion how to fly long-range routes with strong heawinds using PMDG747.My BestDmitriy ToropovPS. Routefinder is used for flight planning.

Guest Paragon

I seem to remember reading that the real flight often have to make a fuel stop on this route, so it's not unrealistic that you don't make it.

Guest flight78

Hey ! If u dont mind how did ur flightplan look like? if u could post it i would be happy.Best regards:Alexander

Guest Dimon1971

Alexander,I thought every PMDG user has this page in his Favoriteshttp://rfinder.asalink.net/free/KORD DCT OBK J101 BAE J89 YWG J596 YQD NCA13 YESKA J133 ANC J501 SQA J179 ENM G583 MVE V8 AWE V7 CHE Y12 HWE Y14 JEC V30 DGC V28 FU OTR30 MIKES 3E11 BOLOD B576 APU W4 HLG A1 ELATO STAR VHHH

Guest Dimon1971

Thanks Mikkel,If they make a fuel-stop (let's say PANC or PAFA), it looks quite unprofitable to have this route in UAL schedule. KORD-RJAA (or any japanese or korean city)- VHHH looks like more efficient alternative from standpoint of pure business. So I assume that VHHH-KORD shoud be OK as non-stop due to strong TAILwinds.

Guest flight78

Hey again ! well the route you used was OK even tho i got a real world route here u might want to try it for some more luck.Forgot to add int flight level is 320KORD PETTY GRB 5000N/08900W 5500N/09000W 6500N/09100W 7000N/09300W 7500N/09800W 8000N/11000W 8400N/14100W RAMEL G491 BABED G491 CZ G491 SULOK G218 TMR B458 WXI A461 LIG R473 WYN W18 NLG W23 ZUH R473 SIERA VHHHI hope it will work better so if ur gona do the route again u could let me know how it goes.Good luck !Best regards:Alexander

Hi Dmitriy,You can definately enter wind speeds into the RTE DATA page, I do it every flight! :)For example: 275/75523.png

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest Paragon

>Thanks Mikkel,>>If they make a fuel-stop (let's say PANC or PAFA), it looks>quite unprofitable to have this route in UAL schedule.>KORD-RJAA (or any japanese or korean city)- VHHH looks like>more efficient alternative from standpoint of pure business. >>So I assume that VHHH-KORD shoud be OK as non-stop due to>strong TAILwinds.I'll try and dig up the post on where they usually make a stop-over. I believe it was on airliners.net from a post discussing the worlds longest routes.

Guest Paragon

Here's a great quote from the topic over at airliners.net."I remember when UA started flying ORD-HKG, they would top off the tanks and "tow" the 747-400 to the runway. On days they expected heavier headwinds, the fuel burned during taxi could make the difference between a non-stop or 1-stop flight".You can find the topic and a trip report here.http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_...ead.main/56246/http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...ad.main/2054032

Hello,I posted a message early in PMDG B744 days, stating that my FMC fuel prediciton calculations were decreasing as the flight progressed. I never saw a reply. Has anyone observed this?

Guest flight78

Hey ! i think they decrese in real life to but no 100% sure.Best regards:Alexander

Hi Opher,Are you entering the winds in the RTE DATA page during your flight ?pilotinfo.gif

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest Dimon1971

Guys, accoriding to manual, WIND PAGE is not so accurate as it supposed to be.QUOTE - We do not consider this function to be fullyoperable, but it is available for you tointeract with if you wish.

Hi, the fuel prediction data is decreasing regardless of wind effect, e.g. with consistent strong tailwind too.>Hi Opher,>>>Are you entering the winds in the RTE DATA page during your>flight ?>>>>pilotinfo.gif

Hi,why? it should only happen if your actual flight conditions are less favorable, compared with the time of the previous fuel predicition reading. Examples- stronger headwind, less economical cruise speed or FL, longer route, etc...I use as reference the fuel quantity predicted at the destination taken at start of cruise. For 2 hour flight I have seen it drop from 20,000Lb to 12,000 and even less. Meaning, fuel flow actual compared to fuel flow calcualted is 20+% higher.It implies that you cannot safely utilize FMC fuel prediction for critical go-no-go flight milestones.PMDG, your input would be apprecdiated, thanks>Hey ! i think they decrese in real life to but no 100% sure.>>>Best regards:Alexander