Sign in to follow this  
Guest bradzim

Coordinating AT + Flaps for landing 737

Guest bradzim

How do most of you all do this? What I mean is, do you slow to 210 with AT. When you get to the point to do 180, put that in the AT and Flap 5, ect? I always thought flaps should slow the plane, not the AT input I have in there. Does that make sense? Also, at the OM, what should your config be? Should you be at landing config before OM, or should you put it in landing config at OM? ThanksBrad

>How do most of you all do this? What I mean is, do you slow>to 210 with AT. When you get to the point to do 180, put that>in the AT and Flap 5, ect? I always thought flaps should slow>the plane, not the AT input I have in there. Does that make>sense? Yes it does. When you are accustomed to the default FS dynamics then flaps slow the aircraft down.In reality they do slow it down but not primarily. The primary function of flaps is lift increasement at slower speeds.So yes you dial in the lower speed, wait until the plane slows down and then you set your flaps. Planning ahead is the key. You should be below 180 knots before you begin your descent on the glidescope or else you will have troubles slowing further down to approach speed.

Guest JeffHepburn

I typically fly 180/Flaps 5 to the outer marker unless the approach warrants something different. It makes it tight to be on a stabilized approach by 1000AGL, but it's doable. I believe this request by ATC is typical in busy airspace such as KATL.As far as slowing down, Boeing advises that flaps are NOT to be used for "speedbrakes". Deploying flaps at higher speed than is necessary increases wear on critical parts. The best speedbrake of all (aside from better approach planning) is the landing gear. If, on approach, you find yourself high and fast...drop the gear. It will slow you down pretty darn quickly, especially when combined with flaps and speedbrake.The last general comment I will make is regarding flaps. I think that slats (leading edge flaps) are responsible for creating the most lift as compared to drag. Trailing edge flaps tend to induce more drag relatvie to the lift they produce as you get to higher settings. For example, the reason you to flaps 20 (for example) during a go-around versus flaps 40 (landing setting) is flaps 20 probably gives you the best lift vs. drag performance at Vref.I'm sure if any of this is wrong, someone will correct me...and I hope they do. Thanks!Jeff

Guest bradzim

Perfect. That makes sense.. Thanks! My other question is would you how does one determine flaps 30 or 40 on final? Thanks!Brad