Sign in to follow this  
adamv66

Wing Lights

Hi,Just wondering about the operation of wing lights on the 744 - couldn't find reference in the manual as to when/why they are used. Anyone able to shed some "light"?? (haha!)Also logo lights - I've seen the guys at my airline putting these on during descent at about the same time as the landing lights..... that correct??Had a quick search through the forum and doesn't seem to have been mentioned before - not recently anyway :(Any guidance much appreciated!Adam

Guest WesFlight

Hi Adam, normally you turn them on when you are descending, usually when you pass Flight Level 180. The checklist with the 747 says as required, but I do it for all my landings at night. The logo lights normally do go on during descent when the landing lights go on. There is no sense in turning them on before because no one will see them. Commercial transport aircraft are not aloud close enough to each other where the logo would be visible.

Guest tmetzinger

If by "wing lights" you mean the lights that shine on the leading edge of the wing, they are normally used to illuminate the edge to check for icing. However, I'm not sure who is supposed to be able to see the leading edge, as I don't think much of the leading edge is visible from the cockpit? Perhaps in the real aircraft the crew can see the leading edge and in that case the lights are useful in checking for ice accumulation.However, you may be referring to lights on the wing that point forward, and those lights are normally used to increase recognition. In the (much smaller) aircraft I fly, our policy is to put those lights on below 10000 feet, and any other time we feel it will enhance safety - I normally put them on regardless of altitude anytime ATC alerts me to crossing traffic, or alerts someone else about me.Best wishes,