Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dr-Foo

MSFS upgrade

Guest Dr-Foo

Hello folx,I just bought a copy of MS's FS2004 so that I can finally download QOTS. Then I just read avsim's home page news that MS is coming out with an upgrade soon (not sure when exactly...is that FSX?). Couple questions: (1) will PMDG keep supporting 2004 for a good while or will I have to turn around and purchase the new FS soon in order to get future QOTS updates? (2) Does anyone know if the new MS FS update will require a beefier PC to run it? I have a HP Pavilion notebook with P4 3.06GHz cpu, 1.25Gb ram (PC2700), and a geforce fx go5600 card with 128Mbs of vram. Can't exactly get a new cpu and card to keep up with benchmark demands.Cheers,Dr. Foo

Guest Vagabond78

>(2) Does anyone>know if the new MS FS update will require a beefier PC to run>it? I have a HP Pavilion notebook with P4 3.06GHz cpu, 1.25Gb>ram (PC2700), and a geforce fx go5600 card with 128Mbs of>vram. Can't exactly get a new cpu and card to keep up with>benchmark demands.>Yes and no, it seems like alot of developers design their software for systems that don't exist yet so that it increases longevity. For instance when FS9 came out, I don't think anyone could run it with all sliders maxed out. Now it is starting to be common place for this to happen. You may be able to do so right now with your system.I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. I think on the Avsim main page it said they were looking at a Q4 2006 release not Feb of 2006. We still have plenty of time with FS9.I can't say about PMDG and QTOS for sure but I would bet that an update wouldn't change much in the way of making it not function with FS9.Hope this helps.Cheers,Erichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

FSX will not be out for another year - don't worry about it! When the time comes I'm sure the team will patch the 747 for FSX if it's feasible...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Dr-Foo

Thanks Eric and Ryan. I didn't want to sound like a worry-wart, but stranger things have happened to me lately...speaking of which, man was it difficult finding FS2004!! (it's referred to as FS9, right?)While up in the Portland, OR, metro area, couldn't find FS if my life depended on it. Drove home to Eugene, OR, looked around here, and it, too, was off the shelves at all the usual electronic/software stores like Best Buy, Curcuit City or Fry's. Finally found a copy at Target, the last place I would've thought to look for FS :-hmmm (kinda like finding a Marita table-saw at a grocery store, I suppose)Dr Foo

Guest Robin.B

>FSX will not be out for another year - don't worry about it! >When the time comes I'm sure the team will patch the 747 for>FSX if it's feasible...Reading in the manual and other places on the PMDG site that the 747 is based very little on FS regarding operation, It shouldn't be too hard to adapt it for a different platform, right?

Guest Dr-Foo

>Reading in the manual and other places on the PMDG site that>the 747 is based very little on FS regarding operation, It>shouldn't be too hard to adapt it for a different platform,>right?Sounds intuitive enough; good point!BTW, I really like your signature jpg. Once I get an idea of what direction to point the nose of the 744 down the runway, do you think you'd be able to develop one for me with a Cathay Pacific livery? (I lived the first 20 years of my life in Hong Kong and love CX. Now I've lived the subsequent 20 years of my life wishing I was back in HKG...visiting just isn't enough for me :-lol )Dr. Foo

If this was a perfect world MS would patch FS for the 747 :-lol

Alaister Kay