Sign in to follow this  
Guest robhowe

737NG: breaking off approach after engaging APP mode

Guest robhowe

Hi. Last night I was flying on VATSIM and was vectored by ATC to intercept the destination ILS. I (wrongly) anticipated that the controller would ask me to report established as I was on a perfect intercept heading. I was getting near the glide so I selected APP and the autopilot obediently started to capture the localizer and glide slope.The controller then vectored me away from the approach path for a go-around, presumably due to traffic, so I needed to disengage APP and return to HDG select/ALT mode. I couldn't do it and ended up having to kick the AP off completely and hand-fly all the way through the go-around, until landing. Hard work!There must be something I was doing wrong. What's the correct procedure for breaking off an approach after APP has been selected, and returning to flying by MCP using HDG and ALT HOLD/LVL CHG?ThanksRob

Guest Erups

>There must be something I was doing wrong. What's the correct>procedure for breaking off an approach after APP has been>selected, and returning to flying by MCP using HDG and ALT>HOLD/LVL CHG?If the APP mode is still not totally engaged (APP button lights still on) you can just press any mode button to engage the new mode.If the APP is engaged (APP lights off) you have to turn off the F/D (which also turns off the A/P) and reengage the F/D.Once you do this, you can engage any other mode.

If you are doing a go-around it should work that full throttle would disengage APP mode, especially under xxx feet AGL when the APP mode locks. Same with using the TOGA button.This is assuming you are getting an immediate climb instruction as well.

Guest robhowe

Thanks for the replies. I tried the first suggestion (disengage FD then re-engage FD and AP) and that worked fine. Later I'll try hitting TOGA as well.Many thanks again

TOGA button worked for me. It gave N1 power and flew the heading (went to HDG mode) and climbed to the altitude in the MCP under FLCH command.

Guest robhowe

Yep, TOGA worked for me too, tried it tonight. The AP disengaged and when I re-engaged it I could use HDG and ALT to fly the missed approach. Many thanks.