Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy365

RAM Upgrade

Sorry for wasting bandwidth with this question,I was thinking about upgrading from 1024 MB of RAM to 2048 MB or RAM. Would it be very smart to follow through with this ? Might the PMDG get better frames or not stutter in frames ? I ask this question becuase I ran some experiments on the PMDG 400F on my comp today and I found as soon as I turned down density on scenery my frames sky rocketed to around 30-40. Would upgrading to more RAM allow me to put the bars back up to dense or very dense and still allow my 400F frames to hover around 30-40 still ?Thanks,Tony Nelson

Hi Tony,I am running 2GB now (formerly 1 GB) and to be honest the difference is not mind-blowing. It has made an improvement when I'm running RC4 and I don't get quite as many lags in texture loading (where scenery tiles take a while to fill with texture), but FPS didn't materially change.As a matter of interest though, you say you got quite an improvement when you turned down scenery density. Have you found the trade off in visuals to be a problem, or does it still look OK? What is it set at now?

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Roger that,When I turn the densities down FPS increses by a factor of 2x or 3x. I have my FPS Locked at 35 so when i have densities all the way up or "very dense" i get about 11-17 and when at "none" i get 35 but an avg of 20-28. When you turn the density all the way down it still looks great. Personally, to me, buildings are great but for a smooth simulation I do not consider them "crucial" I am one who is willing to sacrifice more buildings for more FPS. When at "none" however you have to keep cautious becuase at "none" all taxiway signs are removed from the airport. So I advise about 2nd to last or enough to have good density at the airport. I have GE2006 from Flight 1 so buildings don't matter to me on account of the fact that im above them anyhow and that GE2006's bitmaps for the ground are amazing. Some people would much rather have buildings but lets face it. When you are 6 miles above the earth or more buildings just don't matter all that much and by the time you get to start seeing them. You most likely need to be focusing more on appr or take off checklists than "Oh, that looks like the Wal-Mart I go to and thats the same school building I attend". In conclusion I find the tradeoff at "none" worthy of consideration but recommend stepping it up to include crucial taxiway signs.Best Regards,Tony Nelson