Sign in to follow this  
Guest 744nut

High Altitude landing

Guest 744nut

Hi guys,Just landed the 744 in Latacunga (SELT) at 9191 feet. Although the Outflow valves are open the Cabin altitude remains at 8500 feet. I should say with the valves opened the cabin alt should be equal to the landing alt. The doors can be opened too. Anomaly or am I missing something?regardsTon

What was the actual current barometric pressure at Latacunga, Ton? I recall that the cabin pressure sensor uses STD. Was it a STD day at Latacunga?Re the doors... The difference is, perhaps, only 700'. I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you could get the doors open.Also, with the doors closed, the packs may give a slight positive pressure over ambient.. even though the outflow valves are fully open. I've noticed that if I try to open the equipment centre hatch before the cabin doors are open, it is slightly harder to get hatch to open.PMDG may be at fault...but I'm trying to get you to think of all the possibilities in the real world ;)Cheers.Q>

Guest 744nut

Hi Ian,It wasn

Guest cargo747

Ton,i can ask a "real-world-driver" on the next Cotopaxi flight, if you like ;-)Cheers,Norbert - CLX001CEO Virtual Cargoluxwww.virtualcargolux.org914.png

>Anomaly or am I missing something?>Here is a possible explanation. If you look in the PMDG manual under limitations you will see that 744 is restricted to 8400 ft pressure altitude for takeoffs and landings. This number is suspiciously close to what you saw. This would not be the best programming practice but it is possible they hard coded this value as the highest possible pressure inside the cabin when aircraft is on the ground.By the way Boeing's AOM for a particular 744 shows 10,000 ft as such limit. Not sure why this discrepancy but this may depend on specific year of production, sub-model, etc.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest 744nut

Yes plz Norbert! The CLX limit is 8000 feet so I am curious how it is done in SELTTon

Guest 744nut

Hi Michael,The hard coded value could be an explanation. In the RW manuals I have seen 4 values so far: 8000, 8500, 10000 and 11000 feet.Maybe it is an option which you can order. regardsTon