Sign in to follow this  
Guest SKireyev

My 1st engine failure

Guest SKireyev

Well! I must say, I don't know whether it was PMDG failure-model-induced or FS Passengers-induced, but I had an engine failure this past weekend.It started as a routine BA Virtual flight 055 from EGLL to FAJS (5000 nm, about 11.5 hrs). I took off with about 285K pounds of fuel aboard, and had 274 passengers and about 41K lbs of cargo. Right after crossing the English channel, while climbing through FL320 to FL330, a caution message came up for engine 4 Generator. I quickly found the issue in the manual (on my networked laptop), and shut down the generator, also disconnecting the drive. I was comfortable with flying on just 3 generators for another 11 hours. Then, as I was cycling through EICAS pages to go look at my engines, I saw that oil temp for Engine 4 was unusally high, almost off the scale, and right at that moment, I saw EPR, N1 and N2 start dropping, and the co-pilot (FS Passengers) reported an engine flameout. I shut off the fuel flow to the engine, and when I went to look at it outside, it had black smoke pouring out of the back of it. Never saw anything like that before, I swear (should have taken a screenshot)! I don't know if it is part of PMDG model, or the option for damage that I have enabled for all airplanes through my FlightSim Manager. Looked eerie! I waited for my oil temp to come down, and then opened the fuel cutoff switch, and tried to restart #4, but to no avail. In the meantime I kept ATC appraised of my situation, and as soon as I confirmed that I couldn't restart #4, I have declared that I wanted to land at the nearest airfield, started dumping fuel, and was instructed to decend to 6,000 at my discretion, and get ready to land at LFPY in France. I descended as quickly as possible, and entered downwind right-hand pattern for a visual approach. I had to shut down my jettison nozzles before I reached my Maximum Landing Weight, but at this point, it was too late to try and burn off excess fuel. Not having much experience flying manually with one engine out I came in bearing far too much speed at 178 knots, and 'de-crabbed' too late before touching down. Thus I ran off one of the sides of the runway, and touched down really hard (I think FSPassengers said it was about 780 ft/sec.). Either way, it was hair raising to try and get everything accounted for: recognize the problem, act accordingly, inform ATC, descend safely, keep airspeed up, and watch for other failures. In the end, the moral of this story is clear: I HAVE to practice engine failures, because this just highlighted how complacent I can get hand-flying a machine that ticks like a clock. Robert and the boys have really created something special!Cheers,

Hi SergeyI think the secret to your failure was not PMDG induced but you said that you were doing a British Airways Virtual flight. In the built in ACARS program there is a challenges.dll file, put there to test your skills. you can either leave it in or take it out. so go to your ACARS manual and read the section called challenges, and all will be explained.regardsJohn CallejaBAW 352(BAV)

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest SKireyev

Hey John--I don't use the ACARS, since I fly offline strictly and use OSP. My failure was an FSPassengers-induced failure. BTW, landing with too much fuel onboard caused $51M worth of damage to the aircraft's undercarriage according to FSPassengers. That hurt!Cheers,-----------------------------------------Sergey Kireyevhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif http://bav.vatools.com/pilotinfo.php?pid=0...b744&vid=958937

Guest capntom

In actuality an engine failure on the 747 is not a big deal, I have had two over the years, one on the 200 and one on the 400. One was a precautionary shutdown due to compressor stall (valve problem) and the other due to a broken lube oil line. The second was over Lashio Burma on the way to Dubai, we were able to continue normally and uneventfully at a lower altitude and speed to destination. Note that carefull evaluation of the fuel burn and alternate options is necessary. Fuel burn was withi 600 kg of original flight plan!The plane can be landed oveweight and is usually not a big deal with good technique, but there is no reason not to dump. The plane will fly just fine (trimmed) on three with the autopilot and will even do an autoland if you so desire.Tom...