Sign in to follow this  
Guest flight85

MD-11 Range??

Guest flight85

Hi ! I got a question about the MD-11 range. The thing is the MD-11F should only have a range of MD-11F - Range 7242km (3910nm). But I have seen many flights with the so called normal MD-11F over that range how is that possible????.My only guess would be it is an converted F from PAX with the same range as the normal MD-11 pax has, Range with 298 passengers and reserves 12,633km (6821nm). Fedex for example has no MD-11 F/ER and still flies KMEM-RJAA and PANC-ZSPD. Fedex I assume has some converted MD-11 Cargo F from PAX to be able to do this or am I wrong??So my question to PMDG is will you just make the MD-11F with the normal 3910NM range or the converted range of I assume 6821NM?? Maybe both?? Did I understand all of this wrong??? If so please explain to me how a so called normal MD-11F can make KMEM-RJAA and back?.Somewhat confusing as this will make 2 of the normal MD-11F if PMDG makes 1 of them or both and if both will they be designated differntly?.LOL i

Hi Alexander,The ranges you list are the published ranges based on different variables between frieghter and passenger models. The MD-11F range is based on near max payload(max ZFW) which reduces the fuel load available and therefore range. Passenger ranges are based on max fuel and a lower payload.Here is how the figures can be broken down into the above parameters as you listed.Range VS Payload (There are different weights available so the ones listed are based on basic values with no mods)MD-116821 NM / 62,000 lbs(298 Pass + Bags) / max fuelRange with 112,000 lbs Max Payload5,100 NM GE4,600 NM PWMD-11C6691 NM / 45,000 lbs(214 pass + bags) / max fuelRange with 142,000 lbs Max Payload4000 NM GE3600 NM PWMD-11F3910 NM / 185,000lbs / reduced fuelRange with 205,400 lbs Max Payload1800 NM GE1500 NM PWIf you compare the MD-11F and MD-11 with 62,000 lbs payload, the MD-11F has a range of 7,250 NM. Almost 400 NM farther than the MD-11 with the same payload. This is how FedEx can do the routes you listed. They won't get there with max payload so they have to reduce the payload and take more fuel. This is how most airliners get their max range.I'll let PMDG answer your other qustions.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

Guest flight85

Thank you John ! very intresting how come the normal MD-11 can take such a small payload compared to the md-11F? The MD-11 ER must have an AMAZING range with reduced payload then?. Iam not used to payload restrictions the 744 really didnt have any on any routes. So I guess one is gona have to calculate how much payload to have not to go over MTOW on takeoff on long haul + have enough fuel for the route. I hope it will be a good load manager by PMDG on this :).Kind Regards:Alexander

>how come the normal MD-11>can take such a small payload compared to the md-11F?This is because on the PAX aircraft you have a higher empty weight. Seats, Galleys, Lavatories, Overhead Bins, more complicated Air system, (there is plenty more of that stuff, IFE, lighting, pillows, you name it) this all adds a lot of weight which the F hasn't. That results in a much larger gap between empty weight and max take-off weight to fill up with payload.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

>Thank you John ! very intresting how come the normal MD-11>can take such a small payload compared to the md-11F? The>MD-11 ER must have an AMAZING range with reduced payload>then?.>> Iam not used to payload restrictions the 744 really didnt>have any on any routes.>> So I guess one is gona have to calculate how much payload to>have not to go over MTOW on takeoff on long haul + have enough>fuel for the route. I hope it will be a good load manager by>PMDG on this :).>>Kind Regards:AlexanderHi Alexander,Markus answered why the difference in payloads between the MD-11 and MD-11F.As for the 744, it's also restricted in fuel load if the loading is at max ZFW(Zero Fuel Weight). For a plain passenger 744, at the max ZFW of 542,500 lbs you can only load 334,500 lbs of fuel as opposed to 382,336 lbs giving a reduced range of 5,400 NM. The max ZFW you can have with max fuel is approx. 498,000 lbs. A loss of 44,500 lbs payload but the range increases to 7,100 NM. Therefore there are payload/ranges restrictions on the 744 if you want to 'Go The Distance' so to speak.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

And don't forget that many cargo aircraft have strengthened floors to allow a higher load per area (though I don't know if that's the case for the MD-11F).Will of course only be useful if the engines and wing can take the extra weight, or you care more about density than volume (for example an aircraft might have to carry small volumes of very heavy cargo over long distances, say gold or other precious metals).