Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiers

How do i add an ILS so it works with a PMDG FMC?

Guest spiers

Hi, I fly with a virtual airline called Unity.Due to my hardware, i find it difficult to land manually, so another pilot there decided to add an ILS to a runway, which originally didnt have one. He has done this using AFCAD or something with a similar name, he may of aslo added some scenary files.Just wondering do i need to do more editing so they will work with my PMDG 747? Or Can i just enter the ILS frequency manually on the NAV Radio page when close enough to the field? Will it allow me to perform an autoland?Thanks.

I can't help with the 747.. but why not add the navaid to the navdata? It's pretty straight forward using a text editor if you run into a glitch it's easy to undo (backup the original).Airports are contained in wpNavAPT.txt: Actually, it is a list of runways. Each line is a record of one end of a runway (two records per runway) that provides length, latlon, etc.Navaids are contained in wpNavAID.txt: This is a list of vors, ndbs and ils's.Pick an airport whose data is already known and look at the respective lines in the wpNav...txt files, they're not hard to decode. I have to figure it out everytime I do this because I haven't written down instructions yet. Maybe I should.For one ficticious airport, you'll add two records for each runway and one record for each navaid. Just keep a copy of the lines you add and restore them each cycle after updates.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well, I believe that, once the fictious ILS added in FS nav database with AFCAD indeed, it's even easier as to the 747 FMC to enter that ILS manually on the NAV page once near the airport. Just input the frequency and the bearing, like for instance 109.90/035, and it will work just fine.AFCAD is very easy to use. Once the airport is loaded in AFCAD, select the runway where you want to add the ILS by cliking in it, then in one of the menu you'll find 'add an ILS', where you just need to choose the frequency, enable the back course availabilty, if it has a DME and so on.Hope this help.

Guest snyperAL

I've also been having a small problem with upselecting a nav frequency into the FMC does it only work near the airport?I can pick a runway etc from dep/app but cant just bang the right frequency into the fmc, any help chaps?Alan M

The PMDG FMC derives all of it's knowledge about runways, navaids, fixes and routes from the files in the fmcwp folder and nothing from the FS bgl files. The radio is based on the facility data in FS. This means you can always use a navaid if it is in the FS world, but the FMC only knows of the navaids in the airac data.

Dan Downs KCRP